UthayakumarNetp
Here to help

Wan1 to Wan 2 actual failover time

Here MX84 i have configured

Primary uplink : WAN 1

load balancing :Disabled

Traffic : 10.1.x.x   prefered WAN 1

Traffic : 172.16.x.x prefered WAN 2

Please explain when primary WAN link down while how much time it takes for switching the traffic to WAN 2 .

For traditional Cisco Router we used to configure IP SLA but meraki how to do ?and where i can find.

I got reply for Soft link down but if CE to PE connectivity is totally fail  while how much time it will take for switch over the the traffic.

Customer Edge Device----------------Link connectivity down-------------------------------Provider Edge(Internet)

(Hard link down) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GMNSL2
Conversationalist

Thanks.

Have checked with Meraki Support and they confirmed, currently there is no possibility of modifying the timers used for the fail-over testings. Put in a feature request to have a configurable value for the fail-over.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
UthayakumarNetp
Here to help

Mail me : uthaya.network7@gmail.com

The details of the tests can be found here (see the section connectivity tests):

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Failo...

But the short version is:

It will take approximately 5 minutes for failover to occur in the event of a soft failure (link is still up, but provides no upstream access).

Falling back to the primary link goes as follows:

If the MX is using the non-preferred uplink as the primary and the preferred uplink comes back online, the MX will wait about 15 seconds before switching the primary uplink to the preferred one. This is to prevent the primary connection from flapping in the event of intermittent failure or an unreliable link. 

Edit: Ajit was quickest.

If CE to PE(Pop) between the connectivity is down so while how much time it takes to switch the traffic to WAN 2

In that case there will not be a link down. So that would count as a soft link failure. So 5 minutes.

Any provision to reduce this fail over time of 5 mins?

One of our customers has raised below concern;

"Is there a way we can speed up the process of switching of ISP from main provider to second provider whenever our main provider is down? 

I believe it should be fast enough that it will not felt by the user. "

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

None of the timings are configurable I'm afraid. The 300 seconds is worst case but can very well happen.

Maybe if you reach out to Meraki support with your concern they can fiddle with the timers.

Or maybe another community member has another idea.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Call support. They can assist with lowering the timers.

@GMNSL2 wrote:

I believe it should be fast enough that it will not felt by the user. "

This needs to be clarified with your customer. When you fail between WAN1 and WAN2 the NAT IP changes. Any session based connections users have established to Internet destinations will be reset. And it will happen again on fail back. It is not possible to have an Internet failover that is truly undetectable by users.

GMNSL2
Conversationalist

Thanks.

Have checked with Meraki Support and they confirmed, currently there is no possibility of modifying the timers used for the fail-over testings. Put in a feature request to have a configurable value for the fail-over.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi,

Kindly check the following Url.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Failo...

Excerpts from above Urls suggests the below.

Note: If the MX is using the non-preferred uplink as the primary and the preferred uplink comes back online, the MX will wait about 15 seconds before switching the primary uplink to the preferred one. This is to prevent the primary connection from flapping in the event of intermittent failure or an unreliable link. 

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Thanks for ALL

Netwow
Building a reputation

Has this been addressed or in the roadmap? I have a 2.5 minute failover on WAN2 on secondary ISP. That is not acceptable for my customer . What about a static route with next hop as WAN2 ISP2. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels