WAN Failover/Failback: Graceful/Immediate

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

WAN Failover/Failback: Graceful/Immediate

It might just be me, but has anyone else noticed this? Didn't it just show up within the last few days?

rbnielsen_0-1669209425294.png

The documentation was updated two days ago, Nov. 21.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Connection_Monitoring_for_WAN_Failo...

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
10 REPLIES 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope, what version are you running?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes i noticed yesterday. Previous  it was only available at the local status page

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The feature went live 11/16/22. Requires MX17 firmware. And only works in non-templated networks.

when will the template have those options?

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

Is it just me or does anyone else want immediate failover but graceful failback? That seems like the ideal scenario. 

Jeizzen
Getting noticed

Yeah......a VoIP flow that has dead air because the expiry time has not ended and it is still on the failed WAN 1 (in Graceful Mode failover), waiting for something to happen for 300 seconds ??

TheAlchemist
Getting noticed

And what is expiry time? and how long ? 5 minutes? so if preferred uplink fails still all existing traffic will use it i.e. no connection to internet till "expiry" i.e. no internet connectivity for 5 minutes? 

TheAlchemist_0-1674095902129.png

Did you ever find an answer to this? I want to know what the expiry time is as well.

Jeizzen
Getting noticed

Here's an answer from meraki:

In case the link goes down, the failover would be immediate.

But a soft failure occurs when the link is still up, but there is no connectivity over it.

All flows going over the Non-Preferred link will continue to be bound to the Non-Preferred link until 300 seconds pass without seeing any relevant frame or if TCP ended the session related to the flow on the Non-Preferred link.

In this scenario, there is a chance that you'll have an active flow that will remain active on the Non-Preferred link after hours since the recovery of the preferred link.

Is there a way in Meraki events to know whether the failover was hard or soft? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels