WAN Failed

Adoos
Building a reputation

WAN Failed

We have an MX65 with cheap NBN internet connecting on internet 2 (primary internet 1 MPLS). Occasionally internet 2 fails and it simply says failed. The NBN router is managed by the ISP and has 4G fail over. This only happens when the router has failed to 4G. The ISP router hands out a private IP to our MX. 

Questions:

Is it possible the MX65 has an issue changing/updating the public IP for internet 2 when the router has failed to 4G? 

Anyone have some tips troubleshooting the unhelpful failed error?

Should we be using a static address on the interface instead of DHCP? 

Note - The service provider can access the router over 4g. 

fa.png

Meraki.png

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing the 4G failover does not work.   The MX will not care as long as it has an Internet connection. 

Your WAN2 is setup to use DHCP so your router changing to 4G wont cuase a problem, as mentioned you 4G connection probably isn't working

Is the 4G connection Prepaid or on a plan, if so id confirm it acutally works / the bill is still being paid. 

Adoos
Building a reputation

It is a managed service, im pretty sure they pay their bills 😃

When it occurs the provider is still able to access the route rover 4G so that kind of indicates the 4G is ok. Perhaps their router plays up with ARP/NaT during failover. 

Hmm, with the 4G fallover can you ping anything on the outside world or does nothing work at all. Just trying to rule out a DNS issue. 

Adoos
Building a reputation

Initially I would love to know what failed technically means. 

When it happens again I will try to pinging, the provider is handing out 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels