VoIP DHCP, best practice to setup on MX or MS225 Stack?

Wade98
New here

VoIP DHCP, best practice to setup on MX or MS225 Stack?

Recently changed out our infrastructure to Meraki, I have an MX84 and stacked MS225 switches.  I'm moving out the Mitel phone system for a cloud based VoIP system.  Currently we will only be running around 30 phones and trying to decide where the best place to house the DHCP range for VoIP?

Haven't been able to find any documentation on best practices.

Current infrastructure is as follows.

Single MX84 ( no warm spare)

stacked MS225 48 port (hub)

2 other MS225 (spoke switches)

VoIP will be vlan 50, looking for a kind of set it and forget it as far as DHCP for VoIP, not really wanting to add the scope to the Microsoft DHCP server ( it has been unstable lately and will be replace in near future)

So the big question, is there any benefits to having the DHCP on the MX or the MS225 stack?

Thanks,

Wade 

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would do it on whatever device is the default gateway for that VLAN.

For a voice VLAN that only talks to the Internet - I would tend to make the MX the default gateway, and use it to do the DHCP.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ms225  does  not have  dhcp  server  function.

Only relay

Ms225  does  not have  dhcp  server  function.

Only relay

It's available in Routing and DHCP, under Interfaces. click on an existing VLAN, and the option is below.  Not as up front and accessible as the MX

Wade98_0-1591375757069.png

Looks like the option is there for the MS225 DHCP, but it errors out when you try to configure it. 😞

VLAN's are configured on the MS225 stack, with the static route configured on the MX.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

That is correct - you need to be on the MS250 or above to run DHCP server on the MS line.

The option appears there, rather misleadingly I think.... but it doesn't work.

If you are using the MX to route then you can run DHCP on the MX

If you are using the MS225's to route - then you can run the DHCP on the MX by pointing the switches to the MX. 

If you have followed the best practise and enabled IP spoofing as per this article the MX may be unaware of the VLAN's. To allow it to run DHCP add them as a static route and the option to configure them for that subnet will appear in the DHCP section

Any questions just shout out 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels