Vlan on Mx

Vishal07
Here to help

Vlan on Mx

Hi Team,

Does configuring trunk port consists of multiple vlan (90,10) on Mx activates the vlan or it needs to configure an port with single access vlan. Example

Network configure on MX

90.90.90.1/24, 10.10.10.1/24

Port 5 will be trunk consists of both clan.

Does trunk configuration allow traffic of that vlan to flow entire network 

8 Replies 8
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @Vishal07 - all depends on what you're trying to achieve?

What device is connected to the MX port?  If you have a switch connected and there's a requirement for devices connected to that switch to use both of those vlan's, then sure, configure as a Trunk and allow those VLAN's on the Trunk port.  By configuring a Trunk you're saying you wish to allow more than a single VLAN on that port to the upstream device.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi Darren,

Yes MX will be connected to L2 switch with configuration of trunk at both ends. 

As per your reply should I consider that configuring trunk port between MX and L2 with required vlans (10,90) sufficient to flow/pass required vlans into network.

Pls note : L2 switch are connected to Hub at downstream and their users should be connected with vlans 10,90.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Vishal07 - configure both ends as Trunks and ensure the Native VLAN's match.  If you have VLAN's 10, 90 configured on the MX use a VLAN that is non routeable (not configured on the network) as the Native

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want traffic to move between the VLANs and don't have another L3 device doing this, then you will need to enable VLANs under Configure/Addressing and VLANs:

Disabled looks like this:

1000009596.jpg

If you enable, you can then add another VLAN:

1000009598.jpg

Note how IPv6 was disabled on the default VLAN when doing this... 🤔

Configuration L3 vlan and trunk port on MX would flow the traffic to Hub switch(hub switch is not manageable) which is connected to L2 switch ? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does the unmanaged hub switch support VLAN tags?  It may well not.

It's totally not manageable so I don't think so. But link between L2 and hub switch will be in access vlan.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Access VLANs are fine, you just usually cannot trunk VLANs over an unmanaged switch.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels