Viptela Meraki Hybrid network

Khoa
Conversationalist

Viptela Meraki Hybrid network

Is there any particular benefits of integrating Meraki networks with a Viptela network over other SD-WAN solutions since both are CISCO solutions? In terms of deployment, maintenance, visibility, security etc.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see why you would do this.  You would choose one and stick with it.

Khoa
Conversationalist

For example using Viptela for the backbone (between DCs or larger sites) and Meraki for smaller regional networks to reduce cost.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You lose so much of the SD-WAN capabilities by mixing them - I just wouldn't do it.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Khoa : I am using Viptela for all my large branches but for remote locations i am using Site2Site VPN with Meraki for some locations. @PhilipDAth is correct, for SDWAN i would recommend to go with one of it.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

@Inderdeep: for the setup you have made, which I believe is the non-meraki site2site vpn, all ipsec details will be coming from the Viptela side and that would limit the IPs that the Meraki can learned from the Viptela routes. Will you be able to share the setup or diagram?

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

It completely depends on your requirements.

Meraki is a fantastic solution if all the requirements can be met with it. Don't overcomplicate things by adding a separate technology and management/control plane into the Mix.

That being said you could have a Meraki and Viptela solution working side by side. 

The only main reason I'd see you looking at a Viptela solution over Meraki is for some advanced SDWAN steering capabilities and layer 3 segregation (VRF) for compliance reasons.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels