VPN works on Wi-Fi, but not on Wired

SOLVED
MMoss
Building a reputation

VPN works on Wi-Fi, but not on Wired

Is anyone else having issues where a user can log into the VPN over wifi without issues, but plugged into their home network they cannot even reach the web?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
darkmonkey
Conversationalist

Yes, not widespread but we have seen it this week.  The issue was the network interface metric on the VPN adapter was a lower priority than the wired adapter.  We initially adjusted the priority of the VPN adapter to be higher than the wired, but it did not stick.  Adjusted the wired adapter to be lower than the VPN adapter, and that seemed to fix it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How does your setup look like?

MMoss
Building a reputation

Pretty standard Win 10 setup for Meraki. 

Network-dad
A model citizen

Are they running the same addressing? I have seen issues with the VPN and remote network conflicting IP addresses..... 

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad
MMoss
Building a reputation

@Network-dad 

They are not, it's actually one of the first things I asked myself.

Thanks guys - this worked to fix my Cisco VPN on a Thinkpad running Windows 10 going thru a Spectrum Router or a TP Link Deco mesh system. This has been driving me nuts for years. I assigned an arbitrary metric of 5 to the ethernet and 4 to the VPN. Bingo  - worked immediately and tested thru all combinations.

Happy New Year and Stay well!

darkmonkey
Conversationalist

Yes, not widespread but we have seen it this week.  The issue was the network interface metric on the VPN adapter was a lower priority than the wired adapter.  We initially adjusted the priority of the VPN adapter to be higher than the wired, but it did not stick.  Adjusted the wired adapter to be lower than the VPN adapter, and that seemed to fix it.

MMoss
Building a reputation

@darkmonkey  I will have them check this out.

darkmonkey
Conversationalist

unfortunately we can't seem to get the NIC metric to stick/apply.  it looks right when you do a get-netipinterface, but will not work until you adjust the metric manually.  Still working on it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels