VPN between 2 MXs 4g/lte

DadaConsulting
New here

VPN between 2 MXs 4g/lte

Hi team,

we have a project for a customer who would have two MXs in different locations and both connected in 4G/LTE connection.

Is it possible to establish a site-to-site vpn (or Auto-VPN if you prefer) between these two appliances?

Thanks

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes it's possible. But due to carrier NAT that often takes places you may find the tunnel won't come up without getting static IPs from the carrier. I've had mixed results with carriers in the US. For example a generic VZW or TMO SIM usually works without any extra work. With AT&T it seems I always need special provisioning from them before AT&T will work.

Ryan / SE - Networking

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want it to work reliably use a carrier that can offer an APN where you get a public IP address directly on the cellular interface with no firewalling (all packets allowed in and out).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels