VPN and Switching Users

JFD
New here

VPN and Switching Users

Hi,

Is there a way in Windows 10 to keep the VPN connection when switching to another user?

The issue is when helping another user remotely, and switching to an admin account while the other user is still logged in. The admin account is not cashed on the computer so it needs to authenticate to AD.

When switching to the admin account the VPN connection drops during the switch and the admin account cannot be authenticated against AD.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

That’s not really anything to do with the Meraki MX, that’s the Windows client dropping the connection. Generally, after the VPN is established, the Meraki MX knows nothing about what is happening with the client it just sees a stream of traffic to decrypt/encrypt.

I’d have a look at some of the Windows forums. A quick Google reveals you may be able to achieve this by adding the KeepRasConnections value (REG_DWORD value, set to 1) into the registry as a parameter to the RasMan service [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\R asMan\Parameters], but I don’t if this really works, works for Windows 10, or works in the switch users scenario. What this claims to do is stop a VPN connection being dropped when a user logs off.

Good luck!

Thank you, but the registry change did not work. I will keep poking around.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels