VLAN/DHCP Issue

SOLVED
TimBisel
Getting noticed

VLAN/DHCP Issue

I am setting up a couple MR33 APs and a MX65 for one of my company's locations. I had VLANs 2 and 60 (Production, Guest) But,I don't understand how Meraki is handing its native VLAN. My understanding was when un-tagged traffic comes in on a trunk port, since it does not have a VLAN it gets moved to the "native" VLAN. But, it seems it is getting dropped.

So, set MX to drop all un-tagged traffic, AP wont connect. Set MX as port for VLAN 2 native, VLAN 2's SSID wont hand out IP's but VLAN 60 works, and vice versa with VLAN 60 as native.

So I figure maybe I just need a management VLAN, it would be good to have one as many of our sites are going to have some old switches and they are out of state so remote management is important. But I make VLAN 256 (Management) VLAN, tell AP to get IP from VLAN 256, and it gives me an alert "This device is using a DHCP IP address from VLAN 0 instead of using configured VLAN 1".

So, am I having a DHCP problem, or a VLAN problem, and how do I go about fixing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TimBisel
Getting noticed

Turns out I had the AP subnet's VLAN marked (256) and I also had it as the native VLAN on the MX so I think it was getting double tagged somewhere from the looks of some other post but I still don't know how that happens if It was tagged leaving a trunk and coming into another trunk the second trunk should remove the tag right?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TimBisel
Getting noticed

Turns out I had the AP subnet's VLAN marked (256) and I also had it as the native VLAN on the MX so I think it was getting double tagged somewhere from the looks of some other post but I still don't know how that happens if It was tagged leaving a trunk and coming into another trunk the second trunk should remove the tag right?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels