Unresponsive Z3's, now reaching 50% failure rate

Ahoste
Getting noticed

Unresponsive Z3's, now reaching 50% failure rate

Hi

We have about +-66 Z3's that we use for retail sites. They're being used together with MR42's or MR33's. +- 20 devices on a network.

For the past months (almost as soon as we started rolling them out over a year ago) we started to have problems with them. 

They would go completely offline and stop 'responding' on all utp ports of the device. No green lights above the ports, no DHCP, no local status page, resetting didn't work.

I went through plenty of troubleshooting with Meraki Support to no avail.

Cisco sending a new device with RMA is the only way to 'resolve' this.

So this week we reached 50% of failing Z3's quite frustrating and disappointing.

Our account manager let us know that in the firmware 15.36 this issue should be resolved. This is still beta so not very keen on upgrading just yet.

However i was wondering if other people are experience a similar problem?

cheers

3 Replies 3
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cmr ^^take heed.  Hopefully we haven’t sent you a brick!

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
dlowery
Getting noticed

Z3's are the one Meraki product that my org has consistently had problems with. We thought they'd be a good solution for remote workers, but they just aren't reliable. I can definitely see how you are having issues if you have 20 devices on one, the recommended clients on the data sheet is only 5. We even have issues with one user on a laptop and IP phone. It's gonna be pricey, but you're gonna need MX64's at those retail sites.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC hopefully as I had already set 15.36 as the firmware before even powering it up we should be okay...  We'd only ever intend on using it for 1 user with a phone and a couple of devices though I'd have hoped it would cope with more!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels