Understanding VRRP Logs and Transitions

SOLVED
Craiegg
Getting noticed

Understanding VRRP Logs and Transitions

Hello all,

i've been working on a few Meraki devices and I've seen some failover events come through. I would like to understand the logs better.

Security appliance Client Event type Details

Time (UTC)

Sep 29 15:31:01MX001 VRRP transitionif_up: 0, old_if_up: 1, mode: detect  
old_modedetect
prio75
old_prio255
elector_statebackup
Sep 29 15:26:05MX001 VRRP transitionif_up: 1, old_if_up: 0, mode: detect 
old_modedetect
prio255
old_prio75
elector_statemaster

My Objective: Identify when the primary failed and switched to being a Backup.

Could someone help me understand the status codes in the Details section. I have read through the Routed HA Failover Behavior. But I do not understand the Elector state . 

Is it saying Elector State- Master = Device is currently Master
and Elector State - Backup = Device lost connectivity and is now Backup ( Spare becomes Master)?

Could someone please clarify the same for me. Would highly appreciate it! 

Thanks,

Craig.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Exactly:first, it had a priority of 255 and was acting as VRRP master. Then it looks like its uplink failed, therefore it transitioned to Prio 75 and went into Backup state.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CptnCrnch that indeed did help and i appreciate you referencing the link too.

However, what I am not understanding is the section Elector State - Master / Elector state - Backup

As per my reading of the link and understanding - 255 for Primary is Master and anything below that is Backup

As per my logs at Sep 29 15:26:05 MX001 - transitioned into Master as Prio is 255 and then at Sep 29 15:31:01 MX001 transitioned into Backup as Prio is 75.

Can you confirm that my understanding of this is correct? 

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Exactly:first, it had a priority of 255 and was acting as VRRP master. Then it looks like its uplink failed, therefore it transitioned to Prio 75 and went into Backup state.

@CptnCrnch 

That was helpful and quick. Thanks a lot for clarifying my doubts! Much appreciated 🙂 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels