Understanding Native VLAN Configuration

HovnanianEA
Here to help

Understanding Native VLAN Configuration

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! Fairly new to Meraki so bare with me 🙂 Our company has a simple network environment throughout our divisions. We have a data vlan and a voice vlan for 95% of our divisional offices. We've been replacing our old Edge routers with MX appliances but have kept our CAT 3560 and 3750 switches. For our Meraki config, we have our trunk port to first switch with the native vlan being the data vlan. The daisy chained switch trunk ports also have the native vlan assigned and all has worked well with data and voice. I've recently added an additional data/server vlan at one of our offices and only servers connected to the first switch will connect to the network. The switches daisy chained off the first switch will show unidentified network on our servers. From the MX, I can only ping the server vlan interface IP from the first switch but not any of the other switches in the environment. I'm wondering if this is as simple as a missing route?

Example config:

Servers - VLAN 10

Data - VLAN 11

Voice - VLAN 20

Meraki MX - LAN port 3 set as trunk with native VLAN 11

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/48
description Meraki Trunk Port
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 11
switchport mode trunk

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check if all trunks allow all vlans.

If there is a vlan allow  list then add also the server vlan.

Figured it out. The switches I was passing vlan 10 on weren't actually trunked directly (this is a remote location). I did a sh cdp neighbor and realized which switches were connected to each other. I added vlan 10 to all switches to pass that traffic and all servers came up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels