UPnP Help

SOLVED
Ado
Conversationalist

UPnP Help

I have two XBOX One's on my network. They use a communication feature that allows players to talk via a headset and mic while keeping Ghaul from stealing their light. Ghaul is a Cabal warlord that has gone out of control and .... anyway, normally, because I have two devices on the network trying to communicate over the same port at the same time one of the two will get kicked out of the voice channel. The work around for this is to enable UPnP on a router/firewall that supports UPnP. My MX64 does not support this feature so I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk instead but I hate the firewall and it's interface and can't switch to DDWRT (or whatever it's called) as it will break an important feature of that device. I keep catching myself  looking for something new to protect my network and I keep stopping myself because I have a perfectly good Meraki device that I enjoy. I just haven't wanted to ask ... but ... Is there a work around for this? Will putting the devices in separate VLAN's solve this problem? If I put them in separate VLAN's, can I add rules so that they can still communicate with each other for file sharing and whatever unforeseen thing they might use? 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@AdoPut them in the same VLAN not separate VLANs.See the document below. Or you could take a different approach and put the MX in passthrough mode (bump on the wire) so you get all of the security features but do not have to use it as a router. Also, Meraki isn't consumer focused so most likely there won't be development around this feature.

PC<->MX LAN (Passthrough)MX WAN<-> Netgear.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Other_Topics/Universal_Plug_and_Play_(UPnP)_support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@AdoPut them in the same VLAN not separate VLANs.See the document below. Or you could take a different approach and put the MX in passthrough mode (bump on the wire) so you get all of the security features but do not have to use it as a router. Also, Meraki isn't consumer focused so most likely there won't be development around this feature.

PC<->MX LAN (Passthrough)MX WAN<-> Netgear.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Other_Topics/Universal_Plug_and_Play_(UPnP)_support

Ado
Conversationalist

Passthrough mode ... so the Netgear still manages the UPnP but the MX logs and manages traffic? Cool!

Although, if a library uses multiple game systems like the XBOX in their teen centers, how would they get around this?

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

All features in passthrough are still available. You would have to arrange something like this Users<->switch<->MX<->netgear<-> internet. We are going to pass along VLAN tags and any QOS markings, we don't alter the traffic unless it needs to be blocked per policy.

It should work, test it and let us know!

furicle
Conversationalist

Could you see what rules uPNP creates on the Netgear and recreate them manually on the Meraki?

Ado
Conversationalist

I'm not sure how to view that in the Netgear, The interface is really awkward and slow so it's painful. I'll look, but, how would I recreate them?

hey, Sorry to revive an old thread, but i have an MX67 and having a similar issue but with 2 PCs trying to communicate with the Microsoft gaming services.

If i put the MX67 in Passthrough mode will it still have the 450mbit throughput throttle?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels