Two separate MX questions for content filtering and DHCP

SOLVED
Slider
Getting noticed

Two separate MX questions for content filtering and DHCP

I have a meraki mx and two things to confirm:

1.If I understand correctly MX is only capable of supporting a single DHCP scope unless vlans are used? The idea was that I could have the Meraki as a routed egress link for the bulk of the general access, like dorms, which would exist on many internal vlans in the enterprise and I could use ip-helpers to point to Meraki for DHCP. I do not believe I can this this without creating vlans on the mx which then suggests I need to trunk these which goes down a bad road. Does that mean we have to setup a DHCP and possibly DNS server on the network.

2. There are no provisions on the MX to apply content filtering based on subnet unless it is a local vlan, is that true?

HM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. If you add a static route for each remote subnet you'll get the option to enable DHCP for that subnet.

2. Correct.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi there,

1. you’re correct in your understanding in that the MX initially has a single IP Subnet and therefore a single DHCP scope.  For more you’ll need to create multiple VLANs and therefore Trunk these to the downstream switch.  Why would you have to create a DHCP server and DNS on the network?  You can create the DHCP scopes on the MX and also utilise the upstream DNS.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. If you add a static route for each remote subnet you'll get the option to enable DHCP for that subnet.

2. Correct.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels