Two MX64w on same Network ( MX-A connected on Link-A and MX-B connected on Link-B).. Possible?

dmb_1984
Just browsing

Two MX64w on same Network ( MX-A connected on Link-A and MX-B connected on Link-B).. Possible?

Hello

Is it possible to do this configuration in Meraki? Or I am requesting a advanced setup for the solution?

Meraki_Example.jpg

• Create a network in dashboard
  • Register these MX64w
  • Connect Internet Link A on Meraki A
  • Connect Internet Link B on Meraki B
  • Both Meraki connected in a single LAN Switch

When the hardware or link fail, the traffic would be forward automatically each other, ...with a MX alive (hardware or link)?

11 REPLIES 11
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Happiman
Building a reputation

@dmb_1984 

If you setting up the network at a HUB site, it might work. If at a SPOKE site, maybe not.

Sorry I forgot to mention.. This is a SPOKE Site.. 

Even HUB I have tried with 2 MX84 and did not work well.. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

are you setting up warm spare (2 mx in one network) or not? what did not work?

Happiman
Building a reputation

@dmb_1984 

I don't think you can advertise the exact same subnet from two different spoke networks.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should work fine in a warm spare config.

i would advice to set up a full warm spare setup with both internet connections at both mx's
but keep in mind this wil cost you 2 extra ip's per wan connection.
Both mx's need a wan ip for connecting to the cloud and you need one ip you can use as wan ip that can be moved between the 2 mx's

@Roger_Beurskens wrote:
 and you need one ip you can use as wan ip that can be moved between the 2 mx's

This is an optional item. I would not use the work "need". This depends on your network and your requirements.

Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

I know what you mean..

But at 99% of our customers the same external ip adress is used on both firewall when doing a fail-over because they have incoming NAT rules otherwise your external ip will change in case of a fail-over.

In some cases (with only outgoing traffic) this indeed isn't necessary.

@Roger_Beurskens 

Wow, I've never known that I could use the same public IP address on both Merakis.

My setting is 

VIP: 1.1.1.1

MX1: 1.1.1.2 (Primary)
MX2: 1.1.1.3 (Spare)

Then your customer has 

VIP-None

MX1: 1.1.1.1

MX2: 1.1.1.1 

Thanks all for the answer, but I did this test like previous comments but at the dashboard view worked fine. When I have forced failover, it means, I have disconnected from the power the primary MX, the secondary did not assume the master rules. 

Included checking the lights in front of the MX, the secondary MX have had ping over the network while the primary was down, but the lights was orange =/.. different than primary MX when was active have had white lights.. Is that normal or not?

Has anyone done this config and test failover like this? 

I dont know it seems a complex configuration for Meraki.. I am comparing HSRP ISR Router.. 

Finally I had no chance to call a Meraki tac support because the window to make this change has been over.. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels