Teleworker and Mesh VPN - 50% of the tunnels aren't built

Solved
SrandaZitra
Conversationalist

Teleworker and Mesh VPN - 50% of the tunnels aren't built

Howdy, 

I have Teleworker Z4 device at home and config that's received from Meraki Cloud tells it to create Mesh VPN with 80-ish other VPN targets. My problem is, that roughly 50% of the tunnels isn't built. These aren't the same tunnels everytime, e.g. Z4 device reboot causes the tunnels that didn't work before to work and tunnels that were established prior to reboot to fail. I have tried 3 different ISPs, all 3 of them reporting: 

• VPN registry: connected
  • NAT Type: friendly
  • Encrypted: Using IPsec and AES encryption.

Is there, please any possibility of advanced troubleshooting? I am quite new to Meraki ecosystem and I am not really sure where to begin. 

Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The z4 is sized for 8 tunnels (10 max)  That device should really be configured as spoke

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Sizing_Information/MX_Sizing_Principles#Z-Series_2

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The z4 is sized for 8 tunnels (10 max)  That device should really be configured as spoke

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Sizing_Information/MX_Sizing_Principles#Z-Series_2

SrandaZitra
Conversationalist

Thank you, due to reasons that are out of scope of this reply, I never suspected this could be Z4 appliance limitation. This guide corroborates it, though: MX Sizing Guide & Principles - Cisco Meraki Documentation

SrandaZitra
Conversationalist

@ww The limit you have mentioned (10 max) - is that for non-meraki VPNs only or also for Meraki VPNs? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is for both, so includes Meraki auto VPN

SrandaZitra
Conversationalist

Sorry for being this insistive although the topic already got answered - I got the Z4 box handed out by my supervisor, he claims the limits (in my case 10) are there only for non-AutoVPN and he underpins that statement by stating that he has an older model - Z3 at home on 250Mbps (I have only 50Mbps) ISP uplink and for him and his Z3, with an older model, the 80+ AutoVPN tunnels are built flawlessly (all green in the portal). My question : would you be able to support me with some official detailed documentation as I fail to find one on my own? (I keep only finding very generic datasheets where I can't find this statement that it also includes Auto VPN). Thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels