Swapping MX84 to MX85

SOLVED
Kiki
Getting noticed

Swapping MX84 to MX85

I want to add the cold spare in inventory to the network I can without an extra licence?(MX84→MX85)
Is MX85 license required?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kiki yes it will, you just need to get the MX84 license converted to the MX85 one during that time.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You dont  need a license for inventory items.

But if you want to start using it:

If your using pdl then you need a mx85 license.

In co term you can contact support to convert the license mx84->mx85  https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

Kiki
Getting noticed

Thank you for your reply!

When the mx84 fails, can the mx85 be in standby status before the license conversion?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kiki unfortunately not, you need a licence to add it to a network.

Kiki
Getting noticed

That means I need to have the license ready before the device failure
😭
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are happy to cold swap them then you don't need it as you can convert the MX84 one.  You get a 30-day grace period to fix licencing when it is out of compliance.

Kiki
Getting noticed

That's perfect

😀

Kiki
Getting noticed

Please forgive me for confirming many times.

Add brand-new equipment, you can also have a 30 day grace period, is that right?

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

But if an MX series security appliance was added to the same organization, it would enter the 30-day grace period because the organization is not licensed for MX security appliances. For more information about the 30-day grace period, read the License Limit and Current Device Count section of this article or refer to the License Info article.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kiki the device can be in the organisation inventory, but not in a network.  In other words were the MX84 to fail, you would have to set up the MX85 before traffic were restored.

Kiki
Getting noticed

Thank you very much for your explanation. I know that there can only be one MX in a network.

There is also a 30 day grace when the license expires. I just want to know if the new mx85 can have a 30 day grace when it joins the organization for the first time as a cold swap when it has not been licensed yet😃
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kiki yes it will, you just need to get the MX84 license converted to the MX85 one during that time.

Kiki
Getting noticed

thank you!!!😃

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels