Swap out MX 250 Warm spare vs cold swap

hmc25000
Getting noticed

Swap out MX 250 Warm spare vs cold swap

I need to swap out our 250 MX because of an issue with the current one crashing. 

Reading the documentation I'm inclined to assume that configuring a warm spare might be easier and have less downtime than doing a cold swap. 

Can anyone with experience recommend what the best way is with the least amount of downtime. 

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @hmc25000 this also came up in another recent thread below.  Check here https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

In particular look over the section "Adding a Second MX to Form a Warm Spare Configuration" which seems most relevant and is going to minimize your actual downtime if you've got a tight outage window.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused with method 1 from the document. If I understand it correctly the Method 1 can be done 

"Adding the Replacement MX to the Same Network" or "Adding a Second MX to Form a Warm Spare Configuration".

I understand for both you have to remove the old MX prior to adding the new one. How can you add a warm spare if you have removed the old MX? Can I assume there will be no downtime when I add the new as a warm spare and than remove the old MX? I just want o make sure I understand it correctly. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels