Strange Speed Anomaly on MX65 POE+ Port

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Strange Speed Anomaly on MX65 POE+ Port

I have an MX65 that is connected to a network of around 10 gateways and a few repeaters. 

One of the gateways is an MR52 which is connected directly to the MX65's 2nd POE+ port. 

 

My WAN is a ATT Enterprise fiber 250/250 connection that has been flawless. Recently, speeds have been getting weird from wireless clients. As I always point out in my posts, I am in a very rural area with no other RF interference (its a retreat center). I shape the bandwidth on the SSID in question (the only one being used out of 3 - we have very vey light usage) as follows:

RumorConsumer_0-1593273342863.png

 

 

This has been solid, great no problems. Enough speed that somebody doing something important gets a decent rate, and speed burst is always a welcome bonus. I have changed nothing in the config, but recently people have been complaining that things have been slow. I didnt believe them until today I had somebody run a speed test from this particular AP and sure enough, to multiple endpoints at major telecoms where the speeds used to be perfect, I see 60 down/224 up, 70 down/225 up etc etc. So wildly different speeds, and nowhere within my set parameters for shaping, and way slow for download. On another gateway AP, this does not occur. 

 

What could be the problem here? Could this be defective hardware? The only other thing Ive done is update firmwares on both the MX and the APs to all the latest betas. I could try a downgrade but why would that matter if other APs are working properly? 

 

Update - in terms of trends, the only other AP we know of that is having a problem like this is another MR52. The wired AP that is just fine is an MR42. I wonder if there is a recent bug in the firmware for MR52s... I have several others wired on campus and will try them to see if theyre also affected.

 

Update 2 - Ok its not MR52 exclusive. I have tried another one, wired, in a different part of my network and its performing great... except its *over* speed. Its 214/214 or so which is wrong. So it looks like my bandwidth shaping is f'd. Any other weigh ins? 

 

Update 3- I removed all bandwidth shaping and had them try it again. Pretty much the same results. its the most I could do while everybody was still online and its still present. Downloads are at most about 100mbit on this odd assortment of APs. I will roll the firmware back to latest stable release candidates overnight and see if that helps. 

 

Update 4- I was relieved to learn that it was the middle of the night for @PhilipDAth when I posted this 🙂 I was concerned when I didnt get a reply within 5 minutes 🙂 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When was the last firmware upgrade, and does that coincide with the problem starting?

Hard to know as I have been off property a while. I keep pace with the betas so at least once every couple weeks the MX or MRs get some kind of update overnight. We will find out tomorrow if the downgrade helps.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.

Reverting to stable firmwares had zero effect. I guess I will call support.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.