Source IP and/or VLAN mismatch

SOLVED
HaniAbuelkhair
Getting noticed

Source IP and/or VLAN mismatch

I have Z3 and i found this in the log

source_client_ip: 192.168.1.113, source_client_mac: 20:4E:F6:CB:15:3D, source_client_assigned_vlan: 0  « hide

last_illegal_ip100.115.92.14
client_total_illegal_packets558
all_total_illegal_packets2973
last_reported_total2963

I am getting this from Chrom box's randomly not sure why and its VLAN 0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have only one VLAN 1

And whats this IP 100.115.92.14 ? its not even the WAN IP!!!

And when i run packet capture nothing is there and the chrom box is set to be DHCP no static

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

sadly this issue isn't new.

Chrome devices are using this network block( I think a /24) for various things. Normally this network block is only used inside for the chome* device, but they are also getting used between chrome* devices.

The Z3 is correctly displaying this in the event log as your device is using it in your network.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

sadly this issue isn't new.

Chrome devices are using this network block( I think a /24) for various things. Normally this network block is only used inside for the chome* device, but they are also getting used between chrome* devices.

The Z3 is correctly displaying this in the event log as your device is using it in your network.

@Greenberet So nothing to worry about here?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Greenberet seems to have the best answer.  I also found RFC 6598.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6598 

"This document requests the allocation of an IPv4 /10 address block to
be used as Shared Address Space to accommodate the needs of Carrier-
Grade NAT (CGN) devices

The Shared Address Space address range is 100.64.0.0/10."

I'll guess ChromeCast has some kind of internal address, or perhaps even its LAN IP, and is wanting to NAT it into a known address space, so they chose this CGNAT block.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels