Software Version used after Factory Reset ?

SOLVED
csedlmeier
Here to help

Software Version used after Factory Reset ?

Dear all.

We had an internal discussion in my team about an Meraki factory reset on a MX68CW. 

I understand after a factory reset the meraki device will wipe the whole configuration, restart, try to connect to Meraki Dashboard to get configuration and use the local SW version on Meraki device. The Meraki Box will only do an update or change the SW version if the SW version is different between Meraki Box and Meraki Cloud ?

A colleague in my team mean the after factory reset the Meraki Box will fall back to an older basic version.

Can please some one explain what happen with SW Version after factory reset ?

Kind regards.

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Our Meraki SE told me as following, end of last year:

"When you receive a MX there is a software on it "factory SW", when you connect your MX to the internet it will update its factory firmware to the newest, like shown in the Dashboard. 

If you reset it to factory defaults it will do the same process" 

Thats all I know at the moment.

# Added a bit in the previous post.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

As far as I know when you do a factory reset it will be resetted to its factory SW version. After connecting back to the Dashboard it will update itself.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Support/Resetting_Cisco_Meraki_Devices_to_Fa....

Resetting a Meraki appliance to factory defaults will clear the local configuration stored on that appliance. This will clear any statically assigned IP address information, Ethernet configuration, DHCP lease pool, and web proxy settings.  

If a device is still in a network after being factory reset, it will redownload its previous configuration when it comes back online. This includes any previously assigned static ip addresses. If the configuration needs to be completely reset, make sure to remove the device from its network before resetting to factory defaults. 

Hello Marc. 

Thnaks for your answer. Maybe you know how factory SW version is defined ? Is it the version that is loaded to the box as the Meraki box comes from factory or the version you load to the box as you to an SW update ?

Thanks in advanced !

Christian

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Our Meraki SE told me as following, end of last year:

"When you receive a MX there is a software on it "factory SW", when you connect your MX to the internet it will update its factory firmware to the newest, like shown in the Dashboard. 

If you reset it to factory defaults it will do the same process" 

Thats all I know at the moment.

# Added a bit in the previous post.

Thanks again for your fast help 🙂 !

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels