Setup VLAN w/ Existing DHCP Server

GNBTechLLC
Just browsing

Setup VLAN w/ Existing DHCP Server

Hello, Meraki Community,

I have most recently jumped into learning about VLANs via articles and YouTube videos. In an attempt to set up VLAN's for an existing network that I built-it currently operates on a flat private network (10.0.0.0)-I am stuck on how to incorporate a VLAN network with a current DHCP server. I do not want to use the built-in routing mechanism via the MX64 and instead use my internal DHCP, but I am stuck on how to set things up properly. Any lead way would be great. Thank you so much for your insight and time in advance!

-Garrett, GNB Tech

P.S Here is a topology of what the network looks like:

2020-08-18_00-50-05.jpg

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thank you. I have revised this documentation but it does not really help or explain how to properly setup/configure DHCP relay on the server side.

Well, basically you‘ll have to define DHCP scopes for the subnets defined for your Vlans. MX will then hand out the subnet information to your DHCP server which in turn will hand out the IP address from the correct Vlan

So would I need to create multiple scopes in DHCP for each VLAN subnet I want to have relayed from the MX?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @GNBTechLLC , as @CptnCrnch has explained you’ll need to setup a new DHCP scope for each VLAN that requires it.  Then, on your MX you need to specify the IP Helper address on each VLAN that is being served by your DHCP server.  The IP-Helper address is the address of your DHCP server.

8A467B86-8546-4207-B6E3-BA32ECF5ED0F.png

Under DHCP settings specify the IP address of your DHCP server

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels