Set up for MX65 with Windows dhcp server

RobertDitusa
Comes here often

Set up for MX65 with Windows dhcp server

Hello guys. I am relatively new to meraki products. I currently got a new MX65 in the office. The office currently is using an old fortinet firewall. We are looking at changing this out with the mX65. We have a a separate Windows DHCP server in house. I have never set this up on the MX65 and just wondering if anyone can help me out.

From what i know, usually you need to set up a DHCP relay for this? Is this correct?

I am not sure who set up the old system here i was not here for that.

From what I can see they it goes from the cable modem > Firewall > 48 port switch > Windows DHCP Server.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great as I am relatively new.

10 REPLIES 10
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

What your probably looking to do is a DHCP Relay (assuming your using different VLANs etc.)

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/DHCP/Configuring_DHCP_Relay

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

On the old firewall we were not using VLANs. Everything was set up on the domain using through the DHCP windows server. Our dhcp range for this office was 10.140.100.11 - 10.140.100.254.
I guess we wouldn't need a vlan for this location. If its easier to set up then thats fine. From what I read it looks like you need 2 vlans. One of them needs to be pointed to the DHCP Server Ip address.

If you only have 1 VLAN then DHCP should work.

DHCP-Discover is a broadcast, so if your windows server is on the same VLAN as your client, then it will hear it and send a response
TwitterLinkedIn

So it should just pick up the broadcast. Do i shut off the dhcp server on the MX65 though? Or can i keep that just running?

If its the same VLAN i would disable it because you don't want two DHCP servers fighting each other
TwitterLinkedIn

Right that is what i was thinking. I will need to wait till after hours to test this out. So it should just pick up the broadcast from the DHCP server. Do I need to select anything in the mx65 dashboard? Or just plug it in and it should start working from there.

Thanks for your help.

Well I would imagine you've done your due diligence to ensure that the MX65 config matches Fortinet for the basics. IP scope etc. I would check the IP table on the old gear, see if there are any hidden gems that you might have missed etc.
TwitterLinkedIn

That's my issue here. Unfortunately the person I took over for left. I can not access the firewall right now. It was a mess here. It works still but can not access it. I am trying to cover my basics here. I am not going to remove the old one till i can get this one up and working correctly. I know the ip range and subnets and the dhcp server ip. But like you said I don't know if there is an hidden gems in there.

77777.JPG

TwitterLinkedIn

I know. I will not get rid of the old firewall till i know everything is working correctly with this MX65.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels