Schedule a reboot of a Meraki Device?

cwal21
Getting noticed

Schedule a reboot of a Meraki Device?

I know there's an on-demand reboot option, but is there not functionality in place to schedule a reboot to occur at a certain time? i.e. it would be nice to schedule reboots in the middle of the night.

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

No there isn't. You can use the API. @NolanHerring wrote a script and he shared it here:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Solutions-APIs/Python-Script-Rebooting-Devices/m-p/49576

Thanks for the quick response, I'll be "making a wish" next as this should be a simple feature to implement one would think. Especially since scheduling of firmware updates is already possible.

Thanks again!
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

All props to Nolan :)!

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

A little bit more forceful and used probably more for single sites

from meraki.meraki import Meraki

# Configuration parameters and credentials
x_cisco_meraki_api_key = 'your_api_key_here'

client = Meraki(x_cisco_meraki_api_key)

collect = {}

network_id = 'L_networks_id_here'
collect['network_id'] = network_id

serial = 'mx_serial_here_with_dashes'
collect['serial'] = serial

result = client.devices.reboot_network_device(collect)

print(result)
c53e
Conversationalist

This should be a feature. Example: We changed DNS to Umbrella on the MX and now the switches have a yellow status. Should reboot them during the evening but needs manual attention.

cwal21
Getting noticed

Def agree, the whole Meraki Dashboard is all about ease of use and clean UI, seems like a no brainer.

Dan4
Conversationalist

Can't believe that 3 years later this still isn't a feature. Would be an immense help for us.

iball99
New here

Let's get this going folks! Its time.

cwal21
Getting noticed

Agreed - They've integrated Anyconnect into several MX devices now with new firmware (THANK YOU DEV TEAM!)  but haven't integrated this simple option?

Varlaks
Conversationalist

We have an MG21E which we use on remote sites. Defeats the purpose as we need to on site to reboot the device.
A simple reboot function when it fails to ping default DNS should solve this issue. This is common feature on most remote routers.

ChrisGaines
New here

We have a vMX that keeps losing connection to a VPN every 24-30 hours (don't ask!!), which is fixed with a reboot, so being able to schedule a reboot every night would be one less task to do every morning!!!

SplashAccess
Here to help

Hi All , Bit late to the party but just to let you know we have now created a new app for this function that you can download on IOS or Android . You can create groups of Meraki devices from any Network / ORG and schedule reboot times . You can also reboot groups of devices at any time you want  . https://meraki-rebooted.com/ . Hope this helps 🙂 

Tim Ormrod

Looks expensive.

In-App Purchases

• 1 Month - Free 7 days Trial £2.99
  • 1 Month £2.99
  • Meraki Rebooted £29.99

Hi , I am looking at changing the pricing next week ,and also updating with new feature … standby 🙂 

Tim 

Tim Ormrod
SplashAccess
Here to help

Price changed to the following : 

• 12 Month £2.99

Hope to make it more accessible . MT40 Support coming next week as well 🙂

Tim Ormrod
ABaker
Here to help

I'm for setting a schedule on my Outlook to tell me when to reboot something rather than pay a 3rd party to do that.  The API option is also better.  The best option would be for this to be integrated into the Meraki dashboard.

Adam_F
Comes here often

Bummer, came searching to see if this was possible.  +1 please add this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels