Schedule a Flow Preference rule to WAN2

ArtM
Here to help

Schedule a Flow Preference rule to WAN2

We have dual WAN connections.

Primary = WAN1 (1Gb)

Failover = WAN2 (500Mb)

We are not using the load balancing option.

Just wondering if it's possible to create a policy or schedule to route our cloud backup server to use WAN2 during office hours, then switch back to WAN1.

I've been manually entering the static IP of our backup server to a flow preference rule and it works as expected, but it would be spectacular just to have this as an automated schedule.

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @ArtM. Sorry, no it's not possible to put a schedule on the Internet Flow Preferences. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Couldn't you tell it to load balance and set it to a limit of 1Gb so it won't saturate the primary link?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

This would be a really great Make A Wish if you haven't done that yet. Meraki really does pay attention to those. I recently spoke to Research regarding a wish I had made.

That said, we typically solve this problem by establishing time windows within the backup software itself.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If you can do it manually, then it might still be possible to do this via API with a Python script running on a scheduler like StackStorm or something.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

In theory I mean
TwitterLinkedIn

I didn't see anything in the API docs for flow preferences... Maybe I missed it?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I don't think it's in the API yet, unfortunately. That's why I think the best bet is throttling via the cloud backup program. Has the advantage of throttling the traffic close to point of origin, which is always desirable!

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Yeah I was just saying if it did exist, then that would be something that could be done. =P
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels