SIP trunk on Meraki MX with ASL

Solved
zulhilmizubir
Here to help

SIP trunk on Meraki MX with ASL

Hi,

Im planning to consolidate a customer's require of internet and sip trunk using meraki mx.

I have 10 sites (1 HQ and 9 branches)

all of those sites will be using the following WAN 

WAN 1: Dedicated Internet Access

WAN 2: Broadband Internet (best effort)

I have a SIP trunk server that resides in my core network (we are an internet service provider company)

So the plan is when we configure the MX, for voice traffic i need to point it to my SIP server IP from the HQ since customer has their own IP PBX resides in their HQ.

While the rest of the branches in order for them to make a call they have to go to the IP PBX that resides in HQ and from there it will go to our SIP server.

If i were to configure the branches to go thru HQ first (since the IP PBX is in HQ), that means for voice configuration from branches i need to point it to the IP address (or vlan if we decided to group certain policies in vlan) of the IPPBX right? instead of configuring the branches MX to point it to my SIP server

What would the best approach for this?

Regards,

Zul

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The branch phones should connect to the HQ PABX, which then uses your SIP trunk.

The branches should not need to talk directly to your SIP trunk.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The branch phones should connect to the HQ PABX, which then uses your SIP trunk.

The branches should not need to talk directly to your SIP trunk.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use SIP with two providers, with one we use edge devices that terminate the SIP trunks and the phones and PBX talk to that, with the other it terminates on the PBX but this actually means that once the call is set up the phones talk directly to the trunk.

Is the SIP gateway on the internet, if so and it terminates on the PBX I'd set it up for all sites to talk to it directly to minimise jitter when in a call, they'll talk to the PBX at the HQ for call setup (signalling) and then hand off.

Are you creating an SD-WAN to link the sites?

Yes, am creating an SD WAN link to all sites since they also requirement internet usage. So they will be sharing one pipe for both data and voice traffic. I am planning to utilize traffic shaping to cap the bandwidth between data usage and vocie traffic. My SIP gateway is on the internet, i am worried if this setup would impact the performance of the voice traffic since the branches needs to go to HQ first (since the IP PBX resides there) but at the same time, i need a centralized location to manage the voice and data portion.

With the AutoVPN setup connecting the HQ and branches, the voice traffic from branches would not experience any performance issue?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It might, it depends on the quality of link between them, distance etc. Auto VPN isn't magic, just a simple way to connect sites.  With voice jitter is all important so reducing hops and concentrating on link quality is very important.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels