SD-WAN - MPLS Check over Data Center Inet?

vinicius_reis
Comes here often

SD-WAN - MPLS Check over Data Center Inet?

Scenario:

- Just one INET link in the Data Center

- Branchs have a situations with one MPLS + one INET

I have a doubt regarding what is the behavior of the solution if we have a failure in the Data Center Internet.

What I would expect to see is VPN over INET DOWN + VPN over MPLS DOWN (this link is unreachable to the cloud).

So despite having MPLS fully working we still would have a full failure of the solution, is that right?

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Existing AutoVPN tunnels would remain up - but no new tunnels would be able to form.

It is one of the reasons when I do my deployments on don't like to use the "on a stick mode".  I use dual circuits.  One connected to the DC Internet circuit, and another connected to an ordinary consumer Internet circuit.

However a relatively easy way for you to mitigate this is to plug in a 4G router to the MX in your DC.  Another option is to deploy a second hub at the DC on a separate Internet circuit.

Hi @PhilipDAth. In the 4G option we would still be able to form new tunnels (over mpls) and have management over the cloud, right?

You could only form tunnels over MPLS if the MPLS remained connected to the Internet.

Your Internet connected sites would fail over to using AutoVPN over the Internet to the 4G connection.

@PhilipDAth

Existing AutoVPN tunnels do not remain up for long. I tested out this scenario recently and the tunnels tore down relatively quickly, like within a few minutes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels