SAP B1 and Firmware 15.42

BRG
Here to help

SAP B1 and Firmware 15.42

Hello all,

 

After upgrading the firmware from 14.53 to 15.42 on one security appliance (MX-100) "seating" in front of our SAP back end, SAP B1 client app stopped working.

 

Has any one experienced a similar issue?

 

Thank you

 

BRG

11 REPLIES 11
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

Check if you face any issue related to 15.42 in below post. 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/15-42-Has-gone-Release-Candidate-and-is-being-pushed...

 

Regards

Inder

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Hello @Inderdeep , thank you very much for your post.

 

I did check the release notes, there isn't any reference to any issue with SAP.

 

Thank you

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried to do a packet capture? This would be the first time for me hearing that an MX upgrade broke specific applications.

 

Apart from that: do you have IPS enabled? Anything in the logs?

Hello @CptnCrnch and @Inderdeep  here are the logs of the application working (first one) and the application not working (second one)

 

SAP OK.JPG

 

And here is the log for application NOT working.SAP NOT OK.JPG

 

I also ran the meraki packet capture tools I was not able to see much for two reasons: I'm not too handy analyzing packets and the traffic seems to be encrypted. I do see communication and traffic going back and forth between the server and the client but that was as far as I could get.

 

Thank you for your help!!!

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

Hi @BRG 

This is sometimes happen if your pc crashes while SAP B1 is running on a PC.

Easiest way to deal with it is to:

- make sure B1 is closed

- go into the c:\users\{user name with problems}\AppData\Local

- rename SAP map to SAPxx

- start B1 .

This will recreate SAP map with the correct configuration files in it and connect your client to server.

 

Try it, this is something SAP issue not a Meraki Issue. 

 

Regards

Inderdeep

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Hello @Inderdeep I agree that it seems to be SAP crashing however, the first this we did during our troubleshooting was what you are mentioning. It did not fix the problem. We even reinstalled SAP client and did not work. the only thing was to roll back the firmware.

 

Thank you again.

John_R_Gudmann
Here to help

Hi.

We had exactly the same issue some weeks ago and MX64W.

SAP spend 3-4 days on this without any look. We did realise the connection to the firmware upgrade.

We finally rollback to 14:53 (from 15:42 release candidate that Meraki had push out) and now everything works again.

 

Then we had a control upgrade to 15:42 one week later to find the root cause.

The problem is not that everything works at 15:42. So now we don't know what and why. really a strange cases.

I have my personal opinion and that is firmware upgrade didn't finish properly the first time. I know that version 14:53 sam some bad bugs where firmware upgrade can hang. 

It is not so useful but interesting to see that others have the same problem with SAB B1 on separated VLAN as Client

 

Ticked number is Case 06099233

 

Br John Gudmann

 

 

 

 

This is good insight @John_R_Gudmann , May be help @BRG on his case. I am also looking to find if we have similar issue anywhere from my connections across !

 

Regards
Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com 

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Hello @John_R_Gudmann  and @Inderdeep 

 

Thank you for your reply. John, if I understand correctly, in your case, SAP b1 worked after the second upgrade. Is that the case?

 

Yesterday, the the help of Meraki engineer, we upgraded the MX100 again to 15.42, it still did not work. After the engineer gathered some data for further review we had to roll back the upgrade. He suggested to try firmware 16.4 (I believe). We are going to try the upgrade tomorrow afternoon.

 

Thank you again for your posts...

BRG
Here to help

Hello all, just wanted to give you an update on this matter. On Saturday we proceed, as recommended by Meraki Support, to upgrade the MX to 16.4. With new firmware we continued experiencing the same problem. We rolled back to 14.53 again.

BRG
Here to help

One last update and, to document it in case some else has a similar issue. I believe we found the root cause of the failure. We have a Layer 7 Firewall policy that denies all Peer-to-Peer (P2P) traffic. Apparently 14.53 deals differently with that policy than 15.42. After many tests with the Meraki engineer we removed that specific policy and SAP started to work correctly. He (Meraki engineer) was checking at his captures and he stopped seeing the reset happening after the policy was removed. They are investigating what is causing that issue. 

 

Thank you all for your help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels