Replacing Meraki MX64 to Meraki MX68W

KennyL88
New here

Replacing Meraki MX64 to Meraki MX68W

I'm having an issue in replacing the existing MX64 to MX68W. I'm doing the cold swap by removing the old device in the dashboard and add the new one into the same network. I have configured the WAN IP in the new device. However, after I added it to the dashboard, the new device cannot connect to the cloud and therefore, cannot pull down the configuration from cloud.

To be specific, the old device connect to Internet port and LAN port 1. However, because the MX68W doesn't have LAN port 1 (or LAN 2 in Meraki port mapping), just have trouble to figure out which actual physical port I should move it to in the new MX68W.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check if the IP, mask and gateway are correct.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

All the WAN information is checked and all correct as I am able to get my laptop online when connecting to the new MX LAN, but just couldn't get it up in the network.

Have you tried performing a factory reset?

It's supposed to be easy to configure. Otherwise open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

AMP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you are configuring a static WAN IP in dashboard that wont work. The device has to come online to dashboard first before it can fetch whatever you've done in dashboard. If you are using a static IP to your ISP you'll need to locally configure that on the MX. 
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

The MX68W has two WAN ports already so you cannot convert a LAN port to a WAN port as you can on the MX64. AN MX can only have a maximum of two WAN ports. Either the device already comes with 2 internet ports on it or 1 internet port with the option to change ALN port 1 into another WAN port. So with the MX68W you'll need to use one of two dedicated WAN ports.

Knowledge is power

Yes mate, I have done what you mentioned. The WAN config is ok (did it on local status page) as I can get my laptop online from random MX68W LAN port. 

The Internet/WAN port is not the issue. I am getting issue with LAN ports only as in MX64. It has LAN port 1 (LAN 2) that is currently being used as customer LAN, but in MX68, it doesn't have the same port as the LAN ports start from 3 to 12 and doesn't have LAN 2. I assume that would be the reason where the issue come from. 

Take a look at this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels