Replace MX65W with MX65

lovelysidhu
Comes here often

Replace MX65W with MX65

Hi,

I am new to Meraki - we have a site where there is currently a MX65W but we are not using the wireless.  I would like to replace it with a MX65.  Is there a way to 'clone' the MX65W config to the new MX65? https://tobefrankmagazine.com/

anime streaming sites

Thanks,

Lovely Sidhu

11 REPLIES 11
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

You should be able to delete the MX65w from the network and add the MX65. The settings are within the network, not in the MX65w

If I am not completely wrong... But not 100% at the moment

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@MarcP is correct.

• Just remove the MX65W from the network using this button on the Appliance status page:

2019-07-12 14_12_33-Security Appliances - Meraki Dashboard.png

• Then add the MX65 to the network. It should automatically get the old settings, except for a few:

"Please note that the network will retain the old MX's non-local configuration, so the replacement MX does not need to be reconfigured in Dashboard. To remove an MX from an existing network, follow the steps below."

That means the following:

"Regardless of which method is used, any local settings such as static WAN IP addresses, proxies, and non-standard link speeds will need to be configured manually on the Local Status Page before the MX can connect to Dashboard. Generally these should be copied from the original MX (if available)."

There's actually an article specifically for this task:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

You may like to consider using configuration templates 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Nash
Kind of a big deal

One question - are you looking to do this because you've already got the MX65, or would you be purchasing new hardware? Because if new hardware is required, have you considered looking into an MX68 instead? It's the replacement for the 65. 

MX68 is sort of a MX65 replacement, still missing features like port security.
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Oh no. I had missed that the MX68 doesn't have port security yet. That's... a bummer.

@Aaron_Wilson wrote:
MX68 is sort of a MX65 replacement, still missing features like port security.

I didn't know that either! Thanks for letting us know.

Major feature gap in my opinion. Not sure why.....

can you elaborate on what port security the 68 is missing?
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@NFL0NR wrote:
can you elaborate on what port security the 68 is missing?

2019-07-15 16_32_15-Clipboard.png

This one.

that's wild.  you think it would be the same.  but then again you would think MX ports and Switch ports would have the same options too.. or even provide the same information

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels