Replace MX250

surya
Comes here often

Replace MX250

Hi Team,

I have MX250 in network but some reason want to replace MX250 with MX80.

As both are different models, Is it possible with cold swap move all MX250 configuration to MX80?

9 Replies 9
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@surya : there is a variation of ports with the models you said

Inderdeep_0-1677523393253.png

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ... 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
surya
Comes here often

@Inderdeep , Thanks for quick reply.

I already referred that link, but it does not given any information about require changes in configuration.

Also link refer MX80 has only WAN RJ45 port and No wan SFP, for MX250 only WAN SFP and no WAN RJ45.

So will it move the WAN configuration correctly along with Security policy, NAT configuration?.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@surya : I am sure you are considering MX85 and yes it will move WAN configuration correctly along with Security policy, NAT configuration but you may need to evaluate the throughput you have now and will be after you are moving to MX85. All the features and the configurations remains the same make sure you have the same license for MX85 as well. 

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
surya
Comes here often

@Inderdeep , We are considering MX80 and for very short time round 3 to 4 months only.

Throughput would not be an issue as will have minimum traffic through it. Apart from that are you seeing any configuration related issue from moving from MX250 to MX80.

Thanks you,

Surya

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Be aware that mx80 can only run older firmware (14.56).  And you will lose features you might be using , that where added  in firmware release 15/16/17.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@surya : I would not recommend that to go to MX80.. @ww said correctly. 

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Mx85?  Mx80 is almost end of service

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX80 goes end of support Aug 30, 2023.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Meraki_End-of-Life_(EOL)_Produc... 

I agree with @ww , if would be a bad choice to put such an old unit in.

Thats correct MX80 is not the right product for the change @surya 

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels