Recommendations for an Eth/LTE Bridge or very simple Router?

SOLVED
Roble
Here to help

Recommendations for an Eth/LTE Bridge or very simple Router?

Hey $Community,

If i recall correct there is currently no plan to support the Cell, which currently is a failover Solution only, as a third persistent WAN Link, bummer.
So the work around either build me Linux PC based Bridge (power consumption too high not an option IMHO) or aim for a dedicated low power consumption device that simply acts as an Ethernet link on one and as LTE Modem on the other side. Any recommendations/experience with this setup/device?

To be honest i still don't get it, why the dev team has such a hard time to make WAN2 a Port-N or Cell Feature on the MX, but that's another topic.

Cheers

Roble

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

+1 on the Cradlepoint, my favorite way to get 4G onto a Meraki. The Cradlepoint has much stronger radios that will pick up and maintain connectivity in situations where lesser devices such as hotspots and USB sticks fail.

My own temporary solution is the Huawei E5770 pocket 4G router with an Ethernet LAN port - we are really not sure how this would hold up to long term use though. I use it only for troubleshooting so have no idea what happens if you leave it on 24x7!

Teltonika has also got an affordable 4G router that's designed for M2M/IoT but I figure it should work fine with the MX.
https://teltonika.lt/product/rut240/#tab-features

<5W power consumption, and it is a Linux box at heart with an OpenWRT derivative. I'd use this setup if I was building Meraki MX kits to be taken 'into the field', running off 4G and connecting back to HQ over SD-WAN.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Adam
Kind of a big deal

So you are basically wanting the ability to have 3 redundant WAN links?

EDIT:  For scenarios where we want LTE as our active WAN2 we just use a cradlepoint modem.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Roble
Here to help

Hey Adam,

I am waiting for the ability to load balance my traffic over a "cheaper" LTE Uplink and send the critical traffic over the symmetric WiMAX Uplink, without integrating a second device.

Cheers

Roble

bigben386
Getting noticed

We have had very good results with Cradlepoint COR IBR series devices. They have a decent management portal to manage a fleet of devices. They support IP passthrough so your router can maintain a public IP address.

+1 on the Cradlepoint, my favorite way to get 4G onto a Meraki. The Cradlepoint has much stronger radios that will pick up and maintain connectivity in situations where lesser devices such as hotspots and USB sticks fail.

My own temporary solution is the Huawei E5770 pocket 4G router with an Ethernet LAN port - we are really not sure how this would hold up to long term use though. I use it only for troubleshooting so have no idea what happens if you leave it on 24x7!

Teltonika has also got an affordable 4G router that's designed for M2M/IoT but I figure it should work fine with the MX.
https://teltonika.lt/product/rut240/#tab-features

<5W power consumption, and it is a Linux box at heart with an OpenWRT derivative. I'd use this setup if I was building Meraki MX kits to be taken 'into the field', running off 4G and connecting back to HQ over SD-WAN.

Thanks for the Feedback, much appreciated!

Cheers and a charming Weekend @all

Roble

Edit: The Teltonika RUT240 is exactly what I was looking for, great feature set.

PS: Your answers all solve my problem, don't know if i can accept multiple Postings as relevant. Doesn't work so I'll reward you with a view from the balcony.

A view from the balcony...A view from the balcony...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels