RDP Sessions disconnects after changing MX appliances.

VictorAngeles
Comes here often

RDP Sessions disconnects after changing MX appliances.

Hello!

I am experiencing RDP sessions issues after we replace a mx65w appliance for a MX84. I kept all the configurations (Create a new network and copy all configurations from an existing network).

After a week of monitoring, using Remote Desktop and file sharing (from one site to another one) users reported some issues and disconnections. In some cases the RDP session comes up again after a couple attempts but others don't.

Furthermore I can see several packet loss in the uplink in our main site (were we change the appliance) when using the other site's MX appliance public IP address as destination. 

Captura de Pantalla 2020-01-27 a la(s) 13.56.28.png

I reached support and we've added a traffic shaping rule and disable some wan uplink decision options but I still see packet loss and users are still reporting issues.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

9 REPLIES 9
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@VictorAngeles  Are both devices the old and new running the same firmware versions? I am wondering if there is a difference in versions thats causing the problem 

Hi!

Both appliances are in the 14.40 firmware version.

@BlakeRichardson wrote:

@VictorAngeles  Are both devices the old and new running the same firmware versions? I am wondering if there is a difference in versions thats causing the problem 

It's worth remembering that even if different devices are running "the same firmware version", it often doesn't seem to quite be the same. Witness the way 84s will experience packet loss after making "certain configuration changes".

Of course, I really doubt Victor's making "certain configuration changes" on this box every few seconds! This is just an example that "same firmware" isn't quite.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the Security event log.  Make sure IPS is not firing.

Or try turning IPS/AMP off for 24 hours and see if the problem changes.

Hi!

No, there are no Security IPS events.
I might consider turning AMP & IPS off, but the previous appliance had those features on and we didn´t have any issues.

I'd turn them off just long enough to establish if it is related to the issue or not.  If you turn them off and it keeps happening you know it has nothing to do with it.

nla
New here

We have the same situation, replaced an older MX80 with an MX84 and are now experiencing the same intermittent RDP freezes/disconnects.

OP was your RDP issue ever resolved?

sdsmvcc
New here

Hope this helps, support could not fiond the issue, but after looking in our logs we saw NBAR was blocking randomly traffic (ourselves, because their helpdesk didnt know what else to do) 

We disabled the PtoP blocking on the NBAR (activated by default on a Firmware update and the Customer supoport doenst know it, we didnt even know what NBAR was). This fixed the issue for us.

Customer support was insisting it was our traffic shaping and we had to check our own configs. Is the seccond time we get screwed by a firmware update enabling features/ services. 

Sorry but my last 2 experiences with helpdesk have been quiote bad 4 and 3 hours to the drain to end up fixing it ourselves, and we are not network experts. Just by poking the right places and knowing their services. 

Which logs did you look at?  We are experiencing the same issue and have disabled P2P on Layer 7 and are still having the issue.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels