Proper method for DHCP reservations

SOLVED
TalentQuest
Conversationalist

Proper method for DHCP reservations

I'm curious what the difference is when reserving DHCP addresses between doing it in Security - DHCP versus just finding the clients in the event log and then clicking the radio button to assign IP address there. It seems like if you reserved an IP in the client list it would show up in DHCP settings under security tab, but it doesn't.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is *exactly* the same thing.

If you do it under the Clients page and then look under Security/DHCP you'll see the entry listed there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I don’t think it matters.  I do this from the client page most often because it seems easier.  I have always seen the reservations show up in the DHCP settings later.  I think you will too, but it may take a few minutes?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thanks, I must have been experiencing some issues during setup that was preventing this to work properly. You're right, this method does populate the DHCP reservations as well.

MarkiP
Getting noticed

As Brandon mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. I assigned a fixed IP to a device from the Client list the other day and it does show in the list of fixed assignments under Security and SD-WAN > DHCP.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is *exactly* the same thing.

If you do it under the Clients page and then look under Security/DHCP you'll see the entry listed there.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels