Policy Objects - Beta Concern or No?

SOLVED
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Policy Objects - Beta Concern or No?

Hello,

Who has made the switch to the Firewall Policy Object in their dashboard? Is this feature still early beta and has a lot of bugs or is it basically like the "beta" the new dashboard was in for a couple years, but everybody used it like it was GA? I want to switch over to the new Policy Objects, but we run a zero trust, deny all, then allow approach so I don't want the conversion from IP to objects to break anything. 

Who has done this?

Is it worth it? 

How much time has it saved you?

Any failed conversion stories? 

Any information would be helpful.

CMNO, CCNA R+S
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lpopejoy
A model citizen

8 REPLIES 8
RestaurantGuy
Here to help

I used it no long after it came out.  It was actually one of my biggest requests from way back.  It works okay, but I recall receiving an email that they were making changes to it that might affect my use of the tool.  There is also a track record of beta capabilities getting reset when moved into production, so I would be very cautious about putting it into production.  Sure would be nice if they had beta items documented for expected release!  

So far I am only using it in very limited circumstances.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am using them on multiple organisations. With a complex firewall rule set, I would not want to work without it any more. Main "problem" is that I have very often display problems in the browser where columns are not filled or the the rules do not show up at all. But after a browser refresh all is ok.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm also using Policy Objects for quite a while, especially for complex environments. As @KarstenI stated, I wouldn't want to miss this within these networks. Luckily enough, I didn't have any bigger hickups using that feature.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Works well but as others have noted - this is still in Beta so would advise caution.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
lpopejoy
A model citizen

See this thread and then decide if you want to use them:  🙂

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/All-firewall-rules-disappeared/m-p/116160

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Thank @lpopejoy. That answers the question of risk for me. I am going to wait until GA for this release. Thanks everyone!
CMNO, CCNA R+S
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

I see we have gone another year and Policy Objects are still in Beta. Any update on this and if it is worth going switching to this or waiting until no longer beta.

Thank you,

CMNO, CCNA R+S
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Today I noticed the Policy Objects tab in my networks are no longer showing a Beta Tag. Is the Policy Object feature GA now?

CMNO, CCNA R+S
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels