Packet loss from Azure vMX to spokes

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Packet loss from Azure vMX to spokes

I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem before.

I have a client using a vMX in Azure and they are reporting 4% packet loss to all the VMs in Azure from the spokes.  It doesn't matter which VM is being pinged, and it doesn't matter which spoke the ping is being done from.  Spokes can ping other spokes with zero packet loss.

The issue happens consistently 24x7.  You do about 100 pings and you will loose about 4 of the packets.  The packet loss tends to be spread out.

If you do a ping within the Meraki dashboard there is zero packet loss between the vMX and any spoke that I test.  There are no interesting events in the event viewer, and the status bar for the vMX and spokes is solid green.

The VMs in Azure can ping the vMX with zero packet loss.  The issue only happens when traffic is routed through the vMX to a remote spoke (or from a remote spoke being routed through the vMX to the Azure VMs).

The vMX and all MX's are running 14.39.  I have tried rebooting the vMX and a small selection of MX's.  I have also had a small number of the Windows VMs rebooted.  The VMs are running different versions of Windows Server as well (so there is nothing in common).

Nothing has made a difference.

Any one had issues with small amounts of packet loss to VMs in Azure connected via a vMX?

26 REPLIES 26
AlexC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @PhilipDAth

Not sure if you have resolved this yet, but out of curiosity, do you see the same pattern of packet loss with other type of traffic? such as telnet or TCP

Do the spokes have multiple uplinks? if so, create a SD-WAN policy to push traffic to vMX via a specific uplink. Or test from a spoke that has a single uplink and see if there's any difference.

Cheers,

-Alex

If this was helpful, click the Kudos button below.
Please mark it as a solution if solved your issue so others can benefit from it 🙂
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, it is not resolved.  I just did a packet capture on the VMX and it does not appear to be affecting TCP traffic.  Only ICMP ping traffic.

All spokes have dual uplinks.  The spokes are in more than one country and using more than one ISP.

We do have an SD-WAN policy applied.

To me it appears to be an issue with VMX running in Azure.  If I promote some spokes to hubs, there is no loss between them.  That is the only common point.

It's interesting that it's only affecting ICMP traffic and only in Azure.

If you have a support case opened already for this one, I would recommend continue working with the support team. Sounds like this one might involve collaboration between Meraki & Azure support.

If you can PM me the case info (please don't post it publicly here), I'll be happy to follow-up with the support team for you.

Cheers,

-Alex
Please mark it as a solution if solved your issue so others can benefit from it 🙂
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>If you have a support case opened already for this one,

I did have a support case open.  We can ping between the public IP address of the VMX and the public IP address on the spokes with no packet loss.  We can ping between VMX to the spokes over AutoVPN with no packet loss.

After that the support person said it is not a Meraki issue and closed the case.

I'll probably let it rest now.  I was just wondering if others were having an issue.

Sounds good, I'll let others chime in if they've seen the same behavior.
If it becomes a bigger issue (e.g if it affects more than just ICMP traffic), I'd say reopen the support case and go from there.

Cheers,

-Alex
BarryBerg
Comes here often

I am seeing the same results in our environment.  Just to add a bit more doing testing off our network when I ping the WAN IP of the vMX in Azure I see the same packet loss.  Usually when I am testing a continuous ping from my computer it will range from 3 - 9%.

I had a case open with Meraki but I was told its just a VM and it looks setup correctly open a case with MS.  MS initial support wants to get logs from the Meraki as they dont see a problem with their side.  Me, I just want it to work so we can start moving production servers into the environment.

I have an instance in US and Australia - Azure that are experiencing the exact same behavior.

To add a bit more here when im on the vMX and ping my other MX devices no packet loss, when i ping external addresses i have no packet loss.  Its only inbound to the vMX where I see the packet loss.

Would love some help if others have seen this and resolved.  I have tried latest 14.x and 15.x code to see what i can do.  I did notice in Azure market there is a v2 and v3 of the meraki device but cant really find any documents on the key difference or if I should choose one vs the other.

When I have ran into this problem (not often) the only way I have found to fix it is to delete and re-deploy the VMX.  When it works it is reliable.  When it is broken it stays broken.

Meraki and Azure support are no help in this area.

I have done lots of packet captures (using Meraki's own packet capture tool) for Meraki support showing packets coming in but not leaving the vMX.

On a seperate note, I have also had issues with running StrongSwan on Ubuntu in Amazon AWS on t2.* instances when using AES128 encryption.  Same issue - it either works or their is a constant low level of packet loss.  In Amazon if I stop/start the instance (so it goes onto different physical hardware) it works again.

I spent quite a bit of time with Amazon support on this issue, and it looks like some of the Intel chips have a microcode issue (lets call it a microcode bug).  It might be related to all the issues Intel ran into with the security vulnerabilities, and solving one thing and breaking another.

With StrongSwan if I run on a different instance size everything works.  If I use something other than AES128 it also works.

AutoVPN also uses AES128.

So when working with MS support and using the PSPing tool when i do the ping test to the WAN side of the Meraki using TCP instead of ICMP normal ping I dont have packet loss.  Reading through this board it would appear you had the same, is that true?  Also with just having ICMP drops did you find that your applications behind the meraki had issues or should I just not worry about it?

I will go and try to do the redeploy again but I know I have done that once or twice while trying to fix routing issue.

I noticed when deploying in MS portal there was an option for v2 and v3 we chose v3 but curious if you know anything the two different versions and which one is best to choose in Azure.  I cant find much detail on the difference between the two.

I experienced traffic loss of all traffic types.  The remote sites connecting to this VMX had dual Internet links so you could look at the SD-WAN graphs in the Meraki Dashboard - and those graphs also showed the same packet loss.

I've only used the v3 CPU option.  It's cheaper and faster.

Did you ever do anything to get this working without packet loss.  We are trying to move work loads into Azure, however with the packet loss it scares us.  We have moved a couple servers out there, the people that RDP to the server experience drops and reconnects.

I have only come across two scenarios.  Either it loses packets or it does not. 

If you have the case where it has packet loss I have only found way way to fix it.  Delete the VMX and redeploy.  This usually fixes it permanently. 

Our org is seeing the same thing Philip. I have a ticket open with Meraki and they say it is MS and MS says it is Meraki. I'm doing a constant ping to the same datacenter using a different IP and receive 0 packet loss. While, this is not the perfect troubleshooting scenario this does lead me to believe it is Meraki and not MS.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I know this an an old thread, but looking around this is exactly my issue and its July 2021 and still don't see any definitive answers. I'd hate to have to tear down this vMX and set back up, but before I do, just seeing if anyone here in 2021 had and/or having this issue and if any resolve?

I have two vMX's (Mediums) for two different regions running about five to ten VM's in Azure connecting as hubs since requirement to have multi-site connectivity for RD's and such. Anyway, on vMX in UK works fine and no issues, the other one here in US on east coast has same issue with dropped packets as described here.

I know it's the vMX, if I PSPing to multiple IP's both Public and Private I lose the packets at the vMX IP and all servers behind that which show same time packet lose as I worked my way back out from the vnet subnets yet no drops on the MS Public IP. 

We are having that same issue in US East but not North Central. @CMTech1 , I redeployed but no luck. FYI don't upgrade the public IP sku, I broke our env by doing that. I have packet loss within the same vnet from a prod server to the meraki internal interface (different subnet) and also over the meraki via thrird party vpn. I saw a thread on reggid that mentioned removing the route table from the meraki subent fixed the packet loss. I'm going to try it and see what happens off hours.

@Agio-Networks; As of today we're still seeing the random drops. We see the issue to the three locations we have, US East 2, US West and UK South so if I had to point a finger, though really don't want to, I'd say it's a Meraki issue. Anyway, we have an open/ongoing case with Meraki and the most recent change they made (we don't have access to do) was change the default MTU from 1500 to 1420 to allow more room for the Auto VPN header is what they stated. However, at this time after another week of monitoring it seems we are still dropping random packets so that didn't resolve the issue and have to reply back with the bad news. If I ever do get a resolve, I'll be sure to post it here. Just surprised others haven't seen this in their network monitors. 

CIO1
Conversationalist

I had the same issue: consistent packet loss (normally 1% - 2%, but sometimes spiking to 35%+) on both of my Azure VMXs in 2 different regions. When I placed a high load on the VMX's to/from Azure, the AutoVPN would drop. I tried everything noted above to no avail. I finally called Meraki Support today and spoke to Sanket who did a great job working this issue with me. He found a recent internal support article related to this issue. The VMX setup guide failed to mention this configuration item and has since been updated as of October 2021.

To fix the issue, login to your Azure portal and open your Route Table(s). Select Subnets and disassociate the subnet that both the Azure Router and VMX Router share. In my case, it was subnet 10.100.0.0/24. Azure default gateway was 10.100.0.1 and the VMX was 10.100.0.4. I'm assuming the two were fighting over the traffic and causing the packet loss.

After disassociating the subnet, the packet loss stopped, performance noticeably improved, and the AutoVPN drops stopped. I didn't experience any routing or connectivity issues. No downtime was incurred either when I applied the disassociation in Azure.

I hope this helps anyone who's been troubleshooting this for months like me.

CML_Todd
Getting noticed

Thank you CIO1!  

We had this exact same issue.  We were dropping packets, had very slow file transfers and ping responses in the 800-1000ms range. 

We removed the subnet the vMX used in Azure from the Azure routing table and it fixed our issue immediately without an outage.  🤞 that it stays that way.  CIO1, thank you for sharing! 

rgower
Conversationalist

Well I figured out what worked for us and the disasociate the subnet is key to it.  First we had to add this rule to our inbound port rules

rgower_0-1661282448920.png

Then Add this rule to our outbound rules

rgower_1-1661282506467.png

Then we did the disassiocate 

rgower_2-1661282609288.png

CMTech1
Getting noticed

Meraki has a fix for this. It's related to their auto VPN tunnel connections. They change one of the two registration connections to the new systems first, then let it run for a couple days and then do the other one and viola! Call them up and say you have issues with the S2S VPN with constant packet drops and request review of the VPN registration. Once they changed, no more issues.  

CMTech1_0-1661284778773.png

Side note....Anyone using the Meraki Cisco AnyConnect and have the same issue where it drops a few times after initially connecting ask support to review the VPN Client MTU's. We had them adjust the MTU's for this and no further issues with users now either.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am *very* interested in this @CMTech1 - could you give me a ticket number I could reference?

Due to the confidential info related to our company I really can't provide the ticket number, however as I mentioned, call Meraki and mention exactly what I stated. It took me calling and working with five different techs until one was like yeah, I know how to fix that and thankfully did.

The tech was Patrick Baah and below is an except of the message when he updated the second registration;

Hi xxxx,

I have updated the second registry. Good to see the improved state of the registry connection. I'm glad I could assist. If there are ever any questions or concerns that you have please do not hesitate to reach out to Meraki Support!

Best, Patrick Baah Cisco Meraki Technical Support

Can confirm vMX in Azure, the WAN interface and Anyconnect have separate MTUs. With Meraki support making the changes, walked the Anyconnect server MTU down from default to 1335 to get a stable connection.

CMTech1
Getting noticed

Cool! We've had solid connections both IPSec VPN's and Client VPN w/Cisco AnyConnect (current v5.0.0.3) since last August 2022 when posted they updated our MTU's so glad you're good too! Cheers!

mxlittletech
Comes here often

@PhilipDAth 

we are facing an issue where we are noticing high latency from on-premise hub-A to vmx however another hub-B (in same region/country as hub-B) is having ideal latency. intermittently, this behaviour flips from Hub-A to Hub-B.

vmx is deployed in separate subnet and routing table properly attached to hosts subnet. traffic / ping flow is normal and working with high latency to one hub-at-a-time. something telling me hosts behind on-premise hub LAN are routed via second Hub instead of direct Hub-A to vMx or Hub-B to vmX.

tried everything including redeploying vmx, rasied case with Meraki support but no luck!

any help would be appreciated.

If one hub is working great and the other isn't - that suggests a connectivity problem with the physical hub having that issue.

What does the uplink monitoring look like when it is having an issue?

Thx for replying. Uplink utilization is not showing any odd behavior. Dashboard throughput seems normal.

Meraki support did change the MTUs for vMX as well as Hub-MX units but it didn't resolve the issue.

I understand cross-regional latency should be kept in mind but below latency is more than 3 times higher than that.

mxlittletech_0-1708485579433.png

mxlittletech_2-1708486060770.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.