No way to know when the secondary uplink goes down

trendkill
Here to help

No way to know when the secondary uplink goes down

Hello All,

Is there a way we can put an alert of secondary uplink going down. I see an alert of MX primary uplink but not of the secondary uplink. Can be achieved with an API if not the alert ?

5 REPLIES 5
pkinnison
Here to help

I have put in a feature request for exactly that item.     As far as I know there is no way to know when the secondary WAN link goes down.   

There other issue is the ability to know when the Secondary Link is acting as the active link.

We use cellular extenders on the MX65W to plug into the Secondary WAN port,  our odd work around has been to monitor the traffic on WAN2 via SNMP and if it exceeds a threshold we have a notification sent from our SNMP Collector.   I know a long way to get to a solution but it seems to work.

THanks

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

No way that I know of. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@pkinnison on our MXs we get an alert when it is using WAN 2 as it's uplink due to it thinking WAN 1 is down.  It is a standard alert in the 15.16 firmware.

@trendkill I also think the primary uplink alert only applies to the active device, I did have WAN 1 fail on the failover device of an HA pair and didn't get an alert...

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I have a spare MX with the only uplink it has being cellular. Every so often I get an alert from the spare unit saying the Primary link is down (there isn't one) and it failed over to using cellular (that is all there is so...strange). I have a case open for that as well.

I get alerts only if primary goes down though in regular use cases. If I have WAN1 and WAN2, and they are both good to go, if WAN2 goes down, I won't hear a peep. It's really annoying and I wish they would give an alert option for that. Hell even switch ports with certain TAGS will alert if they go up/down. WAN2 is a critical port that should have alerting.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NolanHerring thanks, at least we are 50% covered with alerts then 🤣

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels