Network summary vs Cellular charges

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

Network summary vs Cellular charges

I loaned a client a cellular gateway because their primary network went down.  The modem has a Google Project Fi sim card in it.  Last night I received a notice that the sim card had used 20 GB of data.

When I check the network summary page for the client, I only see 1.42 GB transferred.

Network Summary Report.png

Screenshot_20200513-095433.png

I would be panicking, but Project Fi is free above 6GB, so it is not runaway cost, but it is still concerning.

Does anyone have any idea about the discrepancy?

Dave Anderson
5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How  many  ports  has the gateway? Maybe  they   connected more then just  the mx  to it?

DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

It is a simple setup with one MX68 and one MR33. 

The MX68 has Charter plugged into Wan1 and the cellular modem plugged into Wan2.

I will get the cellular modem back later this afternoon and I can see what it thought how much data it used.

Dave Anderson

This is what the cellular modem reported for data usage over the day and half that the internet was down:

Celluar usage report.png

Dave Anderson

I am wondering if there is a chance that the Summary report is only counting data for Wan1 (the primary uplink). On my business MX65, I moved my primary link from Wan1 to Wan2 to see if I can replicate the issue.

Has anyone with a failover to Wan2 seen this?

Dave Anderson

I left my MX65 on Wan2 for two weeks, and the network usage reported was very close to what it was reporting on Wan1. So I don't think it is a Wan2 issue only.
Dave Anderson
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels