cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network summary vs Cellular charges

Highlighted
A model citizen

Network summary vs Cellular charges

I loaned a client a cellular gateway because their primary network went down.  The modem has a Google Project Fi sim card in it.  Last night I received a notice that the sim card had used 20 GB of data.

When I check the network summary page for the client, I only see 1.42 GB transferred.

Network Summary Report.png

Screenshot_20200513-095433.png

I would be panicking, but Project Fi is free above 6GB, so it is not runaway cost, but it is still concerning.

Does anyone have any idea about the discrepancy?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Re: Network summary vs Cellular charges

How  many  ports  has the gateway? Maybe  they   connected more then just  the mx  to it?

Highlighted
A model citizen

It is a simple setup with one MX68 and one MR33. 

The MX68 has Charter plugged into Wan1 and the cellular modem plugged into Wan2.

I will get the cellular modem back later this afternoon and I can see what it thought how much data it used.

Highlighted
A model citizen

This is what the cellular modem reported for data usage over the day and half that the internet was down:

Celluar usage report.png

Highlighted
A model citizen

I am wondering if there is a chance that the Summary report is only counting data for Wan1 (the primary uplink). On my business MX65, I moved my primary link from Wan1 to Wan2 to see if I can replicate the issue.

Has anyone with a failover to Wan2 seen this?

Highlighted
A model citizen

I left my MX65 on Wan2 for two weeks, and the network usage reported was very close to what it was reporting on Wan1. So I don't think it is a Wan2 issue only.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.