Network monitoring - PRTG etc?

SOLVED
JonP
Getting noticed

Network monitoring - PRTG etc?

Hello all,

For weeks I have been trying to set up my PRTG instance to monitor our MX bandwidth (or in fact, any sensor!) and failing miserably.

I've enabled SNMP in Organization>Settings, enabled SNMP Traps in Alerts, and opened the port in the firewall but whatever I do I cannot get the PRTG instance to register that the devices exist expect for the default ping sensor. I've tried following the instructions in the Meraki KB article on the subject, (https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/SNMP_Overview_and_C...) but PRTG still cannot communicate with any of my devices.

I am really confused where Meraki says "by default Meraki devices cannot be polled via SNMP from outside the local IP network" but yet earlier in the documentation it says that the hostname for all SNMP requests should be "snmp.meraki.com" so I can't see how those two statements can match up?

Either way, using the MIB file downloaded from the portal and uploaded into the PRTG system, or using the built-in MIB's doesn't work and I just get errors. I've even tried to test the devices from a PC within the network by using Paessler SNMP Tester. This is what I get each time:

06/04/2022 14:41:01 (4 ms) : Device: snmp.meraki.com
06/04/2022 14:41:01 (7 ms) : SNMP v3
06/04/2022 14:41:01 (9 ms) : Walk -v2c -t 10 -c meraki 10.0.0.252:161
06/04/2022 14:41:01 (168 ms) : Error: -2007

Does anyone in the community successfully monitor their Meraki install using PRTG or similar? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9 REPLIES 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you enabled SNMP v3 on Organization > Configure > Settings > SNMP?

alemabrahao_0-1649255934453.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
AaronDo
Here to help

I use it on PRTG but with SNMP v2.  Maybe test with v2 then implement v3?  Screenshot is from a smaller office with a mx68cw.  

AaronDo_0-1649256022597.png

JonP
Getting noticed

I have v2C and V3 enabled and have tried with both. How did you get yours set up? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It should have worked. Have you tried to import the MIB for your PRTG?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I downloaded the MIB and copied it to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB - is that all I need to do, or is there some more magical process to get PRTG to see it?

JonP
Getting noticed

That has worked a treat! Thanks very much indeed, that is exactly what I needed to see!

Next question - is there a similar template for the MS range?

Hi AaronDo.

It  sounds like you got it working: monitor bandwidth, interfaces status over snmp, on MX devices. We utilize MX80, MX85.

If yes, and you can share more info here, it would be much appreciated. 

AaronDo
Here to help

The access points don't give much of anything for SNMP, the switches are even less.  If you snmp walk them you will see the return list is very short.    Might be able to get more with the dashboard api but I haven't attempted it yet with PRTG.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels