Need to convert from a MX65W to a MX-250 and I need help

EBow
Comes here often

Need to convert from a MX65W to a MX-250 and I need help

Does anyone know how I can switch off the MX65 to a Pair of MX-250 without recreating the wheel and several Networks already configured? I can hot swap if need or cold, provided the down time is not extensive.

5 REPLIES 5
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @EBow yes you can, simply by using the "remove appliance from network" button on the Appliance Status page, and then selecting the MX250 from your inventory and adding it into that same Dashboard network.  Because a Meraki Dashboard network is essentially a "configuration container" you can do this.  The only thing you should need to re-configure is any site-to-site VPN for example.  The documentation should take you through it step by step.  Hope that helps.

EBow
Comes here often

For the WAN uplink I have a static address assigned. I assume I have to assign this new MX-250 the same IP. That then I would have to remove  the old device from the network and  turn up the MX-250. 

Which really means I can pre-stage it with the IP and the ports shut..Then on the night I want to cut it over shut MX-65 ports and turn MX-250 ports up. 

The next question is if I do that., what about the second MX-250 I have for HA? Do I configure the same IP on that one too? 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Going from a single MX to an HA pair, you need three public IP addresses. One for each MX device, then a third to act as the virtual shared IP. That virtual shared IP is the one the public world would use for e.g. terminating tunnels or getting to port-forwarded resources.

EBow
Comes here often

What if I shipped that other MX-250 to another Data Center can I use it for a Second tunnel endpoint of the other goes down?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels