Unable to ping servername, but servername.domain.com works (VPN and DNS)

SOLVED
guest134
Conversationalist

Unable to ping servername, but servername.domain.com works (VPN and DNS)

Hi all, unsure if this is a DNS server issue or just an extra step I missed.

We have a DNS server in-office that can resolve the hostname when users access the shared folder via LAN

When connecting via remote access (Client VPN) SOME users can still connect using \\servername, while others have to use \\servername.domain.com (the FQDN) - (IP Address also works too)

Any ideas?  I've tried some of the solutions online like flushing the DNS, and clearing CSC cache (off-line files)

Thanks for your patience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

My office's practice is just remap as FQDN for clients that use the Meraki client VPN. The client VPN doesn't automatically along the DNS suffix.

In Windows, you can also try adding a DNS suffix but honestly we just remap. It's too complicated to ask my help desk to set suffixes for 55-odd clients.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Nash
Kind of a big deal

My office's practice is just remap as FQDN for clients that use the Meraki client VPN. The client VPN doesn't automatically along the DNS suffix.

In Windows, you can also try adding a DNS suffix but honestly we just remap. It's too complicated to ask my help desk to set suffixes for 55-odd clients.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels