Moved MX to new organization - Device now offline

rsperre
Conversationalist

Moved MX to new organization - Device now offline

Hi,

I've moved a network from one organization to another, by removing it from the old organization and claiming them in the new organization.

It seemed to work just fine, but only for a few minutes.
After a couple of minutes the MX was alerting "Bad internet connection" for a while, then it changed to "Offline".

The MX device have a static WAN IP configuration (in the local configuration page), and the same config are showing in the "Appliance Status" page in the new organization. I've done this process before without any problems.

This is for me in a remote location, but I've had someone reboot the device without any luck.

Have someone encountered this before, or have any ideas?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suspect you are going to need to factory reset it - which is a big pain since it is remote.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Can you have someone at the remote site plug into the management port (if the MX model has one) and see if the static IP info is still there? Sounds like it was wiped out for whatever reason during the move. Otherwise I'd go with @PhilipDAth's suggestion and do a factory reset (which will require the static IP info to be put back in place on site). 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Anytime I've tried to do stuff like this it seems to go rough for me.  Even if I clone the network and move the devices it seems like there is still stuff I overlook.  Unfortunately if it is not checking in, despite reboots, your going to need someone to connect locally to verify the static IP config to get things back online.   

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
rsperre
Conversationalist

Hi,

I had someone connect to the firewall locally, they were able to connect to the local status page and log on to the local configuration page.
The static IP configuration was in fact present and correct.
But the appliance would not connect, also verified that it was present after a couple of reboots.

I was able to guide them to reset the device to factory settings and provide the IP configuration again, and the appliance came online after that.

I don't know why this didn't work even if i have successfully done it the exact same way before.
But a factory reset and supplying the IP configuration again was necessary to get it online again.

So, now i guess my headache is that I'm supposed to do this on around 10 more networks, All in different geographical locations.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys Smiley Happy

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

It might be worth checking with Support to see if there is a known issue moving devices between orgs on whatever firmware version you're running. 

It's probably also worth making sure the MX firmware version is set to the same version between the orgs. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
rsperre
Conversationalist

Thanks for the input, i will definitely check if there are any issues with moving devices on latest firmware (not beta) before taking on the next location for moving.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I have had some odd similar situations to this.  Sometimes I have been but by the upstream ARP cache, but that is not a big deal.  

Most recently I was replacing an MX84 and the link light on Internet 1 was dark for 20+ minutes after applying static IP info and waiting for it to come up. I knew the cable and upstream were good because all I did was move the cable.  Only seconds before paper clip resetting it, it suddenly came on line and worked.  Then Internet 2 was reporting problems and for some reason the perfectly valid ISP DNS (that had been used on the original MX) was not working properly and I had to change it to Google DNS and it started working.

The link light thing must be a bug but really bothered me.  I know to patient and let the new MX come online, but seeing no link light makes me think L1 issue or bad port and how would anyone suspect it was fine by just waiting 25 minutes?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
rsperre
Conversationalist

@BrandonS

I've actually experienced the same thing with DNS when changing IP config on internet 1 and moved the physical cable from internet 2 to internet 1.  
The ISP DNS just wouldn't work, but google DNS solved it. This is a while ago on a MX60.

The no link light would have bothered me for an L1 issue as well.

But in this case i did the move after business hours, so the appliance was connected overnight for about 8-9 hours before someone that could assist came to work. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels