Monitoring converted WAN 2 port

SOLVED
gabrielcouto
Here to help

Monitoring converted WAN 2 port

Hello Friends, we have the MX100 with Internet dedicated port and we received any notifications for any changes of status it. In device, we configure the port 2 to connect the ADSL secondary link for our topology, but we don't receive any notification about your changes status. Is there some option on dashboard for monitoring this Internet link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There's no way to do this natively by using the alerting dashboard, therefore, would be a feature request. My recommendation would be to abstract this information via Syslog and set up SMTP based alerts from your Syslog server solution is supported (Splunk etc). Alternatively, simple tools like Pingdom can be used to sent SMTP alerts when an IP/Port is not responding to ICMP requests.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Doesn't look like there's an option to send an alert when the secondary WAN changes status. What I do is have a Nagios instance running in AWS EC2 that pings both my connections and lets me know if they're experiencing loss or go out all together.

Hi mmmmmmark, thanks for your comment. So far, I have not found any option to monitor or receive e-mail notifications through the dashboard.

There's no way to do this natively by using the alerting dashboard, therefore, would be a feature request. My recommendation would be to abstract this information via Syslog and set up SMTP based alerts from your Syslog server solution is supported (Splunk etc). Alternatively, simple tools like Pingdom can be used to sent SMTP alerts when an IP/Port is not responding to ICMP requests.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Lloyd
Conversationalist

Having WAN 2 (2nd of 2 ISP connections) monitored is requirement to achieve HA for SD-WAN. Once you have more than one WAN connection without an alert on BOTH WAN circuits you may not even realize you have an ISP outage on WAN 2 until the WAN 1 fails. However when this occurs the device is unreachable so you get another alert for that. 

Request feature change  as follows would be to

alarm on "ANY WAN" failure

and

to reduce events that recover set a timer of 5,15,30,60 minutes before alarming. 

Corrected per @PhilipDAth feedback

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is not the case @Lloyd. You get a notification on a primary uplink change.

Lloyd
Conversationalist

Yes I agree primary is alarmed and I'm able to restore service prior to WAN 2 failing. 

However this discussion on this thread  is regarding failure on Secondary WAN 2 while WAN 1 is functional. 

The requirement I have is to receive an alarm condition on WAN 2 such that I can restore service to WAN 2 prior to WAN 1 failing and creating an outage for the customer. As long as WAN 1 or WAN 2 is active customer will not experience an outage @PhilipDAth

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Under Network-Wide/Alerts make sure you have "The primary uplink status changes" ticked.

Screenshot from 2018-01-19 08-42-22.png

Hi PhiipDAth,

for primary uplink, I receive the notifications status via email. This settings is already configured. I would like to configure the same option for WAN 2 port. Thanks!
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I would need to test when I’m back in the lab but if I remember right there is a Syslog message when the uplink status changes. WAN1=0  WAN2=1 ... Just another option since it’s not built into dashboard yet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels