Merging Two Organizations

SOLVED
DerikA
Getting noticed

Merging Two Organizations

I have 2 Meraki organizations, A and B.

Org B has 8 remote networks in different cities.

All of the MX devices in org B have static public IPs on private internet circuits, no MPLS lines or DHCP on the circuits.

The question is when I remove an MX device from org B and add it to org A will the MX device be able to reach the internet to get the updated settings from the dashboard if it internet port needs a static IP?

My ideas for options are:

1) someone onsite will have to manually config the internet port with the static IP via the devices web interface

2) a temporary alternate internet source providing DHCP is needed

3) power off the MX device, apply config changes to the dashboard, reconnect the MX device so it can then download the new config

Anyone done this before and tried any of the 3 options or is there something else I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DerikA
Getting noticed

OK, sorry for the delay in following up. Here is the finial solution I am implementing.

After talking with the Meraki tech he recommended he push code to the MX devices I would be moving from one organization to another as there was a chance that they could lose the static IP settings despite it did not happen in my testing.

The code does not cause any issues later on so I had him apply the code to maintain the static IP config on any internet port.

Planned move is in a couple weeks and I am expecting a smooth transition. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the device has a static IP it will keep that address no matter where you move it to.

All you’re doing is removing the MX from one Org into another.  It will still be able to speak out to the internet and the Meraki cloud.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DerikA
Getting noticed

Meraki support is saying that once it is removed from the organization the MX will go to factory defaults losing any static IP information unless, I set the static IP information on the port and then have Meraki support push code to maintain that IP when it otherwise would default to DHCP. I believe this is via using the MX web page rather than the dashboard but need to confirm. I will update the thread once I have confirmation/more information.

DerikA
Getting noticed

I did some testing with a Lab organization and one of my Lab MX devices. Here is what process was and my results:

Assigned a static public IP and gateway to WAN2

Connected WAN2 to internet circuit

Confirmed connectivity

Removed the Lab MX from the network, got a warning static IP may be lost

Unclaimed the Lab MX

Claimed the MX in the Lab organization

Added it to a test network

WAN2 of the MX did keep the static IP config.

I repeated several time to confirm.

I have reported the results the the Meraki tech I am working with and waiting for his input.

DerikA
Getting noticed

OK, sorry for the delay in following up. Here is the finial solution I am implementing.

After talking with the Meraki tech he recommended he push code to the MX devices I would be moving from one organization to another as there was a chance that they could lose the static IP settings despite it did not happen in my testing.

The code does not cause any issues later on so I had him apply the code to maintain the static IP config on any internet port.

Planned move is in a couple weeks and I am expecting a smooth transition. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels