Meraki mx64 with two Internet connections

SOLVED
Silas1066
Getting noticed

Meraki mx64 with two Internet connections

Can the mx64 route to two ISPs over two interfaces? I'd like to set up redundancy or even load balancing on my mx64, but I'm not sure if it can do this.

One interface is listed as "Internet" --are the others dual-purpose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

14 REPLIES 14
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You can do this. You need to go into the local status page and change LAN4 to WAN2.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Installation_Guides/MX64_Installation_Guide#Setting_up_seconda...)

Works really well too, but you have to make this change inside the network, i.e: it cannot be deployed straight to the customer's site without the device "in-hand"
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @mo_unify. That's not totally true. You can access the local status page remotely if needed.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

Granted, this requires at least one active Internet connection with the MX connected to the cloud before you can go in and convert the second port to WAN, but assuming you have that then you can deploy straight to site.

Ahh this is why this community is so good, learn something new everyday. 

Thanks @jdsilva

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You're very welcome. I learn something here just about everyday too, so I'm happy to give back a bit 🙂

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

Cisco Meraki MX64 certainly offers redundancy and load balancing between 2 WAN Interfaces. [Screenshot below]

MX 64 WAN Interfaces.png

Also on dashboard under [Security Appliance-> Traffic Shaping] offers you various options of Traffic Routing and Load Balancing. [Screenshot below]

MX 64 WAN Traffic Shaping.PNG

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Adam
Kind of a big deal

On that Security Appliance>Traffic Shaping page where you enable it, it is also helpful to set the WAN circuit speeds at the top to facilitate the load balancing. If you have the need you can also set flow preferences if you have anything that needs to go over one circuit or the other specifically. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Hi

We have an  mx64 firewall. I want to set up two networks and pass traffic to two networks by different wan's. How to configure this in my firewall? Can anyone help me?

Hi Laxmikanth
The option is available under SD WAN and Traffic Shaping. Please select Internet Flow Preference. Define the source, destination and WAN Interface.

You shall be able to achieve the desired results.
Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Hi Ajit,

I think you can only make "LAN4" to be "WAN2". Your screenshot suggested that "LAN1" could be "WAN2" which IMHO can not be configured on the local status page.
Btw: Would be great if Dashboard would reflect that configuration change in the "Status" picture, like

1 2 3 WAN2 WAN1

Rgds,
Andreas.

PS: The page "Security & SD-WAN"->"Monitor"->"Appliance status" shows "WAN2" IP address as "Not connected" even in the case you have NOT done the local status page config change -- as soon as the Configuration Template's Traffic Shaping setting implies this!

I agree.  Let's make sure to give this feedback to Meraki.

theant
Here to help

I know this is an old thread but I actually have 2 such ATT Nighthawk hotspots and a MX64

Both have Ethernet jacks and I can turn off the Wi-Fi so any user is subject to Meraki content filtering and protection.

Can there be 3 feeds?

NJay
Comes here often

Hi All,

Need assistance to verify this design.

2x MX84 are connecting in warm spare mode. HA formed using down link switch MS 410.

uplink to  2x MX84 is 2x MS120 ful mesh. ISP-A terminates in 1st MS120 and ISP-B terminates in 2nd MS-120.

customer looking for load balancing also utilizing both link by LAN.. is that possible ?

Thanks for your time .

NJay.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, we use a similar design but we use dumb layer 2 switches for the WAN side of the MXs

i.e. Provider 1 -> L2 switch 1 -> WAN 1 on both MX84s.  Provider 2 -> L2 switch 2 -> WAN 2 on both MX84s

We have 3x IPs from each WAN provider as the HA uses the WAN, not the LAN side in SDWAN mode so that you ensure traffic continuity during failover of MX. One goes to each MX and one is the floating 'virtual' address.

On the LAN side we have 1 port from each MX into two different L3 switches that are stacked together (Cisco 3850s in our case).  We use a dedicated VLAN and subnet for the MX to 3850 connection but you could trunk if you prefer.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels