Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meraki VPN Client

SOLVED
Conversationalist

Meraki VPN Client

Hi,

We're planning to deploy a Meraki network in here and since I have some of those free pieces of hardware from Meraki, I decided to do some testing.

My first mission was to configure a VPN access on the security appliance and try to connect to that from many different clients (iphone, android, windows, and mac basically).

For that, I followed the instructions from here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Client_VPN/Client_VPN_OS_Configuration

Well, I'm not sure why, but on the iphone it did work easily, but on Windows 10 it simple doesn't work at all.

Both are connected to the same internet wireless connection, but when I connect with the Windows laptop it says that the server is not responding.

Has anyone had the same issues?

Thanks,

Carlos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Getting noticed

Re: Meraki VPN Client

You are making progress. Check out this section: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN#Windows_Error_789

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
22 REPLIES
Head in the Cloud

Hello @CarlosCoque, What error message are you getting on your Windows 10 client? I assume it's giving you a Windows 809 error message? Refer to this article which explains how to fix, plus other fixes for other error codes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Kind of a big deal

Are you connecting from "outside" of the MX?  You can't VPN to it from behind it.

Conversationalist

@CarlosCoque 

I am having the same frustrating issue. I've spent over 3 hours trying to fix this VPN issue on windows 10-1709. iPhone/ipad with ios11 connects to my MX64 L2TP VPN so easily. My windows computer is on the same network as the phone and returns error 809 all day long and will never connect. Following the setup instructions from Meraki will not work on Windows 10. My MX64 is not behind a NAT. It is connected to a modem in bridge mode so it pulls a public IP.  I also completed the registry edit microsoft recommends but it's not the problem.

Conversationalist

Hi WANKiller,

I had to connect the MX-64 on a modem using NAT for testing purposes.

I was initially getting error 809, then I opened the ports suggested in the Meraki troubleshooting documentation and now I'm getting error 789.

Getting noticed

You are making progress. Check out this section: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN#Windows_Error_789

Just browsing

Hi i am new on security appliences. I just bought mx 64 , but not license yet. I try to connect as client VPN with windows 10. But i can not. I try all possible solutions but i could not fix it.  I try port forward to UDP 500 and 4500 , i try DMZ  , i check IKE and AuthIP IPsec, i check  secret key. This is new claimed MX64, it says you can use device 30 days or something, but i dont have a license yet? is it a license problem?    

Kind of a big deal

You need a licence to get Dashboard access to configure your MX64.  Without a licence you can't do anything.

Just browsing

I can access my dashboard when u order new device they give 30 day to test i think. I can access i can setup but i cant connect as client vpn user with windows 10 , windows 7 or android i try all of them.

Kind of a big deal

Well if you can get to the Dashboard you should be ok.

Have you definitely enable Client VPN support in the Dashboard?

Just browsing

yes i have already enable client vpn on dash board. I get error 789. i follow troubleshooting on meraki page. but i could not connect. i try many platforms anroid, win7 , win10 . always i get same error 789.  I follow this instruction and many more, but nothing change. Please help. i am not proffesion on security appliences but i am a computer engineer. i try many thing. i guess i can not access my MX. I live in canada ,I try different modems homehub 3000 and homehub 1000 given from Bell service provider. In both i forward ports, i activate DMZ  nothing change.  how can i check my device is acccesable by internet? Thank you.

Kind of a big deal

Are you connecting from the outside of the MX, rather than from the inside?  You can only bring up the VPN from the outside.

Just browsing

Ok. thank you for your advice. I search a lot and i found a solution. my MX is blocked by home hub 3000. Homehub 3000 is a fibe modem (Canada BELL Internet Service Provider gives)  which does not support pppoe. i connect a router WAN port to hh3000 LAN port. setup  router as PPPOE  with username and password to connect service (bell). And i forward ports 500 and 4500 to MX. After that i get a different error 809. i follow instructions on troubleshooting page  to ad a DWORD and it WORKS. Thank you.

Conversationalist

Does this happen to be a Dell system using wireless?

Conversationalist

Yes that was my problem.  I will see if it is the wireless drivers.

Conversationalist

I created another thread on the issue i found with newer Dell laptops and the Meraki VPN.  

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Network-Wide/Dell-Laptops-and-VPN-access/m-p/12826#M321

Newer Dell laptops have a piece of software called "SmartByte" I found this piece of software was blocking our access to our VPN. Once I disabled this software I was able to successfully log in to the VPN. To fix the issue launch the "SmartByte" software from the Start menu. There is an on off toggle, turn off "SmartByte" and you are able to connect. You are able to uninstall the software and it does no harm to the system.

New here

thank you so much for posting this!  I have been fighting 2 dell laptops for 2 days and SmartByte was on them both.  Turning it off fixed the L2TP vpn connection on both of them.  THANK YOU!

Here to help

Hello All,

I had deployment of this feature and now I doing testing based in VPN Client and for me it's working looking at Android plataform, however maybe there is timeout of the VPN.

After specific time VPN closed and I need to execute again the connection. I tried to figure out something about timeout of session but didn't find anything.

Do you know there is something in this way?

Kind Regards,
Rodrigo
Twitter: @rar_21
If this was helpful Kudo me Smiley Happy
New here

On newer new Dell PC's (XPS 13 here) it seems SmartByte has been replaced with "Killer Control Center." I just spent over an hour troubleshooting and trying to connect. The second I flipped the "Advanced Stream Detect" switch under Settings tab in Killer Control Center I was able to connect. I hate Dell and the amount of bloat they've started adding back in to new PCs.

Getting noticed

I know this is an older thread, but I am having the identical problem that Carlos had. Android devices VPN in just fine to my MX65, but Windows 10 will not. The Windows devices are getting error 809. Carlos said he fixed this error by opening the ports in the Meraki documentation, but does not link to that document.

Does anyone know where that document is, or how to fix the 809 error?

Thanks.

Getting noticed

In the solution post, the link goes to the documentation that Carlos used.

For your specific error within that documentation, here you go: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN#Windows_Error_809

Hope this helps you.

Getting noticed

Thanks. That got me passed the 809 error. Then I got another error saying "The connection was terminated..."

I googled that and came up with this article that fixed the problem.

http://help.vanishedvpn.com/support/solutions/articles/17000062078-how-to-fix-the-connection-was-ter...

Getting noticed

Sounds like you missed a step in the VPN configuration but I am glad you resolved it. In the allowed protocol, Unencrypted Password (PAP) is what is used and it appears you did not have that previously. So just a heads up for the next client, use that.

While the password is sent unencrypted, its going through an IPSec tunnel which is encrypted, so you should not be worried about exposing the password.