Meraki SD-WAN vs. velocloud

NickZ
New here

Meraki SD-WAN vs. velocloud

I am looking for more information to help me make a decision on an SD-WAN provider, the company we have our MPLS with is pushing velocloud stating that it is more capable than the Meraki.  Im trying to get some outside opinions as to which would provide a better solution.  this would be for voice and data across the MPLS.

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I think you will need to provide a lot more detail to get any valuable opinion here.  VeloCloud does have some unique tech that could be considered "better" than Meraki, I suppose, but it really depends on what you are after.  I also thought that VeloCloud specializes in multiple connection optimization, but does it replace all the features that a Meraki MX has for security and other features?

I assume you have done your own research on each via the vendor's web sites?

Do you have any existing investment with either product yet?  Is your WAN infrastructure determined?

Can you describe your topology and most importantly-- what you are wanting/needing to accomplish?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@NickZ wrote:

I am looking for more information to help me make a decision on an SD-WAN provider, the company we have our MPLS with is pushing velocloud stating that it is more capable than the Meraki.  Im trying to get some outside opinions as to which would provide a better solution.  this would be for voice and data across the MPLS.

"voice and data across the MPLS", is rather a thread-bare and not very helpful set of requirements.

If you want to make this kind of enquiry, you may be better off posing the question at one of the sites that run a forum for network hackers and administrators rather than on a manufacturer's site.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let me not answer your question with information for you to consider.

Velocloud lead funder was originally Cisco - who pumped $27m into it (in 2016 I believe).  Cisco and the other shareholders have since disposed of the company to VMWare and decided to retain Viptela and Meraki.

If you owned (or owned a substantial shareholding of) three companies that did the similar things and was a primary focus for your company, which one would you sell?

Hint: You would keep the best performing ones you had the most confidence in.

My two cents. It does really depend on your functional and non-functional requirements before picking a Vendor to implement an SD-WAN solution. Like all Vendors, each SD-WAN players have their Pro's and Con's in different areas.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels