Meraki MX84 - Reboot (Lost Power) (Dec 18 07:04 - 07:07)

SCC
Building a reputation

Meraki MX84 - Reboot (Lost Power) (Dec 18 07:04 - 07:07)

Hi All,

Today Meraki MX84 went down. The only thing which i can see on the Meraki Dashboard is this

Reboot (Lost Power) (Dec 18 07:04 - 07:07)

Everything came online with in 5 min.

Confirmed from Meraki TAC as well , they are also saying it has happened due to Power loss. Now this could be due to the faulty power cord or issue with the power source.

The thing is that we are using the Meraki supplied power cord and also where this MX84 was connected , I do have the Meraki switches also on the same power source. It is highly unlikely that MX84 will go down due to any of this reason.

But i can clearly see on the Dashboard "Reboot (Lost Power) (Dec 18 07:04 - 07:07)"

Pls advise what could be the issue, Is this really the power issue or something else ?

10 REPLIES 10
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Not every power supply responds equally to "dirty" power. Maybe a dip or a spike occurred and the MX PSU couldn't handle it while the MS could. It could also be a dying power supply.

I'd keep an eye on it and if it happens again I'd try to get it RMA'D.

More generally you could consider putting a UPS in front of it. That'll double as a signal cleanup and a backup power device.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

I would swap the power cord with the switch during down time, then if the issue comes up with the switch it confirms its the cable, if not then you can start looking at the power source.

SCC
Building a reputation

Hi All,

The MX84 has been power cycle again.

My MX84 Current firmware is 14.40

Meraki TAC just see that it has been power cycle lost power, apart from this, Meraki TAC has no visibility.

I have requsted the RMA as well but whats the gurantee that after RMA this issue will not re-occur.

This is the history of the reboot. This was the complete new deployment which was deployed on 14th Dec 2019

Reboot (Lost Power) Dec 18, 09:04 - 09:07
Reboot (Lost Power) Dec 22, 14:32 to 14:35

Now, after this i have swapped the cable from MS switch to the MX. As the switch was stable from last more than a week. Now this is for sure that there is no issue with the power cord and power source where the MX is now connected. Finger cross lets see what happens now.

Thanks

SCC
Building a reputation

Hi All,

Even after Moving MX84 to a brand new UPS, I am still seeing the trend that MX84 gets rebooted after every 3 days. I am wondering what kind of issue is this., anyway i will be going ahead with replacing the Unit. But i am wondering if i will have the same issue continue even after replacing its really hard to belive that Cisco Meraki MX84 is having the hardware issue ? But i am also wondering why Cisco Meraki team is not doing anything on this. How come the MX84 gets reboot by itself.

SCC
Building a reputation

Finally replaced the MX84 lets monitor this what happens next.

Did the reboot issue stop after replacing the firewall?

SCC
Building a reputation

We did two things.

1) When we went to replace the units we observed that the switches and MX are very close to each other. We thought it might be the heat may be cauing the issue. Hence while we replaced the units we have left 1RU space between switches and MX84.

2) We also put a FAN in the rack on that there is no air flow issue as well.

Once these two steps are done. I have never had this issue.

Hey SCC,

Thanks for providing me the information 🙂

I will be performing these steps soon. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Shouldn't Meraki support be able to see the device overheating?

SCC
Building a reputation

Well, i am not saying the device was extremely hot. But to me it does not look normal. Therefore, I kept 1RU space between switches and MX84 and also made sure that there is a proper air flow in the rack.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels